Installing on a HD with Bad Blocks / Inodes

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Installing on a HD with Bad Blocks / Inodes

Post by webtarget »

Recently, I had trouble getting pass my login screen after a clean install of LM14 Cinnamon. It kept returning me to the login screen after each attempt. I had no problem logging in via the command line using CTRL-ALT-F1, but, via the GUI, I just kept being sent back to the login screen.

I finally found that there were bad blocks and inodes on my drive. So, it's been found now and I assumed marked. I used fsck to discover it. And during the process it fixed it.

However, even after upgrading the system using apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade, I still can't login via the GUI, only via the command line.

My question is, if I re-install LM14 again, on my HD with the bad blocks and inodes, could some of the program still write to these or will they be avoided?

BTW, when I installed LM14 previously, I formatted the drive, but, I guess that didn't seem to detect the bad parts of the drive.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installing on a HD with Bad Blocks / Inodes

Post by srs5694 »

Replace your hard disk. NOW.

Modern hard disks auto-detect bad blocks and remove them from use automatically. If a disk develops enough bad blocks that they're causing actual problems, as you describe, then that means that your disk is in the process of failing catastrophically. It might conceivably be useful in a limited way for a while, but it could become nothing better than a paperweight tomorrow. It's not worth taking the risk trying to eek a little more life out of such a disk, so don't even try.
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Installing on a HD with Bad Blocks / Inodes

Post by webtarget »

Really? (re: bad blocks being auto-detected). I didn't know.

Okay, I guess I'll return it. The drive is only about 2 months old, but, I never got around to testing it. It should be still under the manufacturer's warranty but, it's past it's 2 week return policy with the store. It's 1 TB, so I figured a loss of some gigs here and there won't be an issue and the thought of returning it to the manufacturer didn't seem worth it when it cost me $80.

Anyways, I'll try to return it and see how much work it really is to return.

Thanks.

Return to “Installation & Boot”