[solved] Can't print to Canon MP810

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nonferrousbueller
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] Can't print to Canon MP810

Post by nonferrousbueller »

Hi all,

New convert from Kubuntu (since 8.04), so far all is good except printing. Have installed printer using the device in System settings. Can't print test page or anything else. Nothing shows up in queue. Scanning function works fine using Simple Scan.

This is perplexing as it worked beautifully under Kubuntu for the last couple of years. What does Mint do differently?

Some Googling turned up a suggestion to convert the .rpm drivers for Canon printers using alien. Sadly, Canon doesn't provide Linux drivers for this printer.

32 bit Mint 14 KDE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zcmint

Re: Can't print to Canon MP810

Post by zcmint »

I'd be interested in knowing what native linux driver you were using before to get a Canon up and running (seriously). As for me, I use TurboPrint (http://www.turboprint.info/) which handles all the printing but does not work w/ the scanner. The printing is absolutely perfect (including photo printing) and is very easy to set up and run. The downside is that it's not free although for the money, you really can't beat it's versatility.
nonferrousbueller
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah, I'd be interested too! Unfortunately, I never installed any drivers. My Kubuntu installation started around 8.04 and upgraded from there. The printer didn't work back then. Somewhere along the line, around 10.04 or so, the printer just started working.

I've heard good things of turboprint, but at current exchange rates thirty euro is about half a day's wages. If the printer had never worked under Kubuntu, that _might_ be appealing. Since it did, I would switch back before buying (non OS) software. Also, I've concluded that online services do a lot better job at printing my pictures and for less money than the rapacious charges for ink cartridges, so the printer only gets used for text, and even then infrequently.

But it would still be nice to have! Thanks for the suggestion.
dorrellkc

Post by dorrellkc »

I don't know if this will work, but I came across this page and maybe installing sane will get your printer going.

http://mp610.blogspot.com/2008_04_01_archive.html

or possiblby installing ksaneplugin from the software center
nonferrousbueller
Level 1
Level 1

When I try to print from the web browser, I get this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/475 ... dness.jpeg

The MP810 option is greyed out, and not only that but the gibberish in the "status" column is constantly changing.

Haven't tried dorrellkc's suggestion of SANE as that's more of a scanner solution (and scanning already works fine with Simple Scan) but may give it a bash after daughter is put to bed
nonferrousbueller
Level 1
Level 1

Have tested liveCDs of Mint Cinnamon as well as Lubuntu, both successfully detect and print to the printer.

Both installed Mint KDE and liveCD cannot.

This is pretty much a deal-breaker for me, so if I can't find a solution I'll probably go Cinnamon or back to Kubuntu (but probably Cinnamon; despite how nice KDE looks I have had too many "Hulk Smash" moments with it over the last four years).

Thanks for any help y'all might be able to give.
saultpastor

Post by saultpastor »

I have a canon Network printer (ImageRunner 2200). Mint (Nadia KDE) finds the printer and lets me install a foomatic driver. This worked on Ubuntu 12.04 right out of the box. When I try to print anything (including a test page) there is no error and nothing shows up in the print queue.

I haven't had printing issues with Linux since 2008, anybody got any ideas?
saultpastor

Post by saultpastor »

OK here is what I did to get it printing:

Using System Settings>>Printers I found and installed my printer, tried a test page and it didn't work and didn't show up on the queue.

Went to this address in my browser to manage CUPS
http://localhost:631/printers/

When I tried to print a test page it said the job was rejected. Under the maintenance button there is an option to accept jobs, selected that and it asked me for a username and password. Used my logon name and password, said the printer was now accepting jobs. Printed a test page and it worked.

When I go back to the System Settings>>Printer page I notice there is a check box that says "Reject print jobs" I beleive this was checked before so that may be all that you have to do, I just never noticed it. If this is the case it seems like a strange default setting. Guess it is just me, but I'm no noob to Linux, all I know is it always seems harder than it should to get things all working properly. I guess thats the price you pay to have things stay working as they should :)

FWIW
Craig
nonferrousbueller
Level 1
Level 1

saultpastor wrote:OK here is what I did to get it printing:

When I go back to the System Settings>>Printer page I notice there is a check box that says "Reject print jobs" I beleive this was checked before so that may be all that you have to do, I just never noticed it. If this is the case it seems like a strange default setting. Guess it is just me, but I'm no noob to Linux, all I know is it always seems harder than it should to get things all working properly. I guess thats the price you pay to have things stay working as they should :)
Yeah, I found that, too, AFTER ditching MintKDE and reinstalling Kubuntu (eyeroll). Now printing works sweet - but now add plasmoids doesn't work properly.

I will say that the fresh install of Kubuntu runs a bit sweeter than my old upgraded one, with some minor niggles taken care of. This has long been common wisdom amongst Windows techs but it looks like it might be good Linux advice too. At least for those with good broadband connections! The upgrades have gone better of late, I had heaps of issues in the 8.04>10.04 range during upgrades, later ones were better. But I'll still probably reinstall every couple years. Just because it's so much fun.

Will try Mint again when I set up my workshop computer but will probably leave my desktop Kubuntu for time being.

Thanks for trying to help!
Thread can be closed now.

Return to “Software & Applications”