Asus vivobook S200E touchscreen

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frderek
Level 1
Level 1

Asus vivobook S200E touchscreen

Post by frderek »

Having used mint gnome editions on the desktop computer happily for years (since Bianca), I'm very inexperienced in KDE.

I bought an Asus S200E Vivobook for my wife for Christmas and soon got fed up with windows 8. We've tried ubuntu 11.10 with the unity interface, which quite suits the little netbook but I'm keen to get the KDE plasma netbook interface working. Mint14 KDE edition at least recognises the Atmel touchscreen (more than openSuse does) and in the dektop modes works as expected (tap the icon to open/launch). HOWEVER in the 'netbook' mode it responds to the touchscreen only by showing a 'tool-tip' double tapping makes no difference. Only way to launch is to resort to the touchpad.

Is there a setting that I've missed somewhere to change the response to the touchscreen?

Any help/pointers appreciated.

Derek.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
frsu

Re: Asus vivobook S200E touchscreen

Post by frsu »

Hi Derek,

My Vivobook Asus Vivobook x202e will arrive coming weekend: https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultraboo ... ook_S200E/

I want to use Mint 14 KDE in Netbook mode as well. So I support your question and look forward to a solution. Can I ask you later for some support when installing in dualboot with Win 8??

I am also thinking to replace the HD for a SSD. From reviews I have learned this could give a great speed improvement. Do you have a HD or a SSD version?

In a topic here I found: "For touchscreen devices, Plasma Active does a good job." I think we will have to search for the Plasma Active button or mode.

Best regards,
Frits
frderek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by frderek »

Hi Frits,

The notebook was a Christmas present for the wife. Neither of us could get along with Windows 8 because all the programs we wanted to use (Firefox, Thunderbird, Libre Office) were only available in the 'desktop' mode which made the touchscreen interface nothing but a nuisance. That and having to sign up for a Microsoft account to do anything. So a can't comment on dual-booting because by the fourth day of Christmas we wiped the disk and installed KDEmint and Ubuntu 12.10 side-by-side. We both liked the latter more so we've given up on KDE mint - it looked promising but simply didn't work properly (see my original post). Perhaps future editions will be better suited? Anyway, I can recommend ubuntu 13.04 beta which is what we are using now.

Derek.
frsu

Post by frsu »

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your reaction. Found this on KDE touchscreen development: http://plasma-active.org/
Maybe interesting for you as well. :)

In the mean time I will have a look at Bodhi in tablet mode and Mint 14 KDE netbook lay-out on my "old" netbook. Sunday I will try my choise on my Vivobook. :D
frsu

Post by frsu »

Choise is made: Ubuntu Gnome 13.04 (former Ubuntu Remix), perfect touchscreen friendly distro.
Works like a charm and for me the real first touchscreen ready Linux distro.
checking

Post by checking »

interesting.. I got the same vivobook and could not get that one getting installed. From the iso it did run, but installing it failed loading properly (mounting error and some more). Any specifics you remember doing?
frsu

Post by frsu »

I had to do a Bootrepair. Via the Live USB ( same as the instsllation one) you can install it and then run it.
checking

Post by checking »

frsu wrote:I had to do a Bootrepair. Via the Live USB ( same as the instsllation one) you can install it and then run it.
hmm that could help indeed. still don't understand fully why that version is more specific on booting then Ubintu 12.10 which is running just fine without it.

thx for sharing

Return to “Software & Applications”