Wireless connection keeps dropping

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
somezombieguy

Wireless connection keeps dropping

Post by somezombieguy »

Hi all!

I just installed Linux Mint, and I'm having a problem with the wireless. The connection keeps dropping. Sometimes it only takes a few minutes, other times it takes an hour or so. I noticed that the received and sent traffic tends to spike right before it happens.

If someone could help me figure this out, I would really appreciate it.

- Shawn
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
somezombieguy

Re: Wireless connection keeps dropping

Post by somezombieguy »

Anyone?
Libertus77

Post by Libertus77 »

Hey Shawn, What version of Mint are you running and with what kernel?

I'm not giving technical advice, because I'm not that experienced or proficient. I will tell you, though, that I am running Mint 13 64-bit, and I was having the same problem due to an update from the stock 3.2 kernel. The stock Mint 13 kernel was causing my system to freeze periodically. In searching on that, I found that 3.4 kernels solved a problem with incompatibility of the 3.2 kernels and my Ivy Bridge hardware. No more freezes. The downside was that I started getting the wifi dropping out problem. My searching on that didn't provide a lot, except that a temporary fix was to disable Wireless N mode on my wifi card, which destroyed my speed. Apparently the 3.4 and 3.5 kernels have issues with Wireless N with the iwlwifi module. I finally came across a note that indicated that the problem didn't present itself on 3.6 kernels, so I updated my kernel to 3.6.9 following these instructions from Upubuntu: http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/12/install ... 69-in.html. I just did this yesterday, and have now gone 2 days with no dropouts at all as well as my full N speeds. I also personally haven't noticed any other bugs coming newly with the kernel upgrade in all of my trying to push my system.

I don't know what your system or situation is, so of course do anything at your own risk; but I figured I would share what seemed to help me.
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

I had the same problem and tried everything. The simple solution was to change the channel on my wireless router. When they are set up most times its put on 11 and that causes congestion and drops i connection etc. I changed my to channel 1 and all it rock solid again. Try this first hope it helps.
mkhirale

Post by mkhirale »

Have you tried unchecking the box 'Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication'. This can be found by:

1) Access Network Connections through the control panel.
2) Right click the connection for your wireless adaptor and select properties.
3)Click the authetication tab in the new window.
4)The box you want is the top checkbox. Uncheck it.

Return to “Networking”