LMDE BREAKAGES - (Tracking SID!) -{CLOSED}

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zerozero

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - (Tracking SID!) - Jan 2, 2013

Post by zerozero »

mockturtl wrote:I can build cinnamon in a clean sid, so I think something from experimental must be the problem. (Note: it needs cinnamon-control-center from github.)

ZZ, I think there will be some pain after the thaw, when cinnamon migrates to jessie and everyone's pinning is different... for now `dpkg --force-overwrite` will override sid's cinnamon with a local or linuxmint.com version.
i just now realized what you were trying to say here :lol: took me a few days but i got there

lmde is indeed in a strange situation regarding cinnamon: is at the same time upstream (cinnamon comes from packages.linuxmint) and downstream (cinnamon is also available in debian proper) (and this is something i don't recall happening anywhere else)

this opens a all new can of worms :mrgreen: specially for users running non-standard setups (lmde tracking testing, tracking sid, non-default pin preferences)

for users staying in the update-packs flow (and keeping the standard preferences file) i don't see a major problem (not yet): even if cinnamon is updated to a higher version in debian, it won't overwrite the version available in the mint repo.

for the others (the non-standards) we might see (and most probably will because cinnamon is kept fairly updated in debian) updates from the mint version to the debian version.
is this a problem? no by its own (although i don't know if the debian cinnamon is built with the same options as the mint package) but some additional packages that mint offers (thinking about cinnamon-themes for example) are not in debian and this could 1) cause a loss of functionality and more important 2) make the upgrade path from packages.linuxmint to debian and back less clean and prone to issues.

jessie is going to be really interesting in a lot of ways :lol:
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

The biggest difference I see between the cinnamon package in debian and Mint are that debian doesn't have a nemo package. My guess is that it's possible that nemo could be added with the introduction of gnome 3.6. If you read the conversation on the mailing list about nemo, it seems that they find it redundant with nautilus 3.4, but it might differ enough from 3.6. AFAIK it would be fairly easy to pin cinnamon and nemo from the Mint repo.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Both the Nemo (file manager) and the Cinnamon (desktop environment) were developed by the LinuxMint Devs.

As far as, I know - the only place you'll find Nemo is within a LinuxMint-based Distro.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

vrkalak wrote:Both the Nemo (file manager) and the Cinnamon (desktop environment) were developed by the LinuxMint Devs.

As far as, I know - the only place you'll find Nemo is within a LinuxMint-based Distro.
A number of smaller distros that have their own dedicated repos have nemo - I'm pretty sure Sabayon does and I would think Manjaro has it. Arch has Cinnamon and Nemo version 1.7.1 with cinnamon-control-center in their official repos. I know Fedora added Cinnamon to their repos, but I don't know if they also added nemo.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

cwwgateway wrote:The biggest difference I see between the cinnamon package in debian and Mint are that debian doesn't have a nemo package.
ahh yes, i forgot this part :P and knowing that cinnamon although not dependent, is enhanced by the presence of nemo (some features are only available with the combo cinnamon+nemo) that would mean a measurable difference between the debian cinnamon and the mint cinnamon.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

btrfs-tools v0.19+20130131-1
I can confirm that it's impossible to boot on a btrfs root partition with the new btrfs-tools package.
Booting is optional, right?
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

mockturtl wrote: Booting is optional, right?

:lol:
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Transitman »

For those playing along at home, I have come across a failure of python when trying to update.

Code: Select all

Retrieving bug reports... Done
Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
serious bugs of python2.7 (2.7.3-6 -> 2.7.3-7+b1) <unfixed>
 #702005 - libpython2.7: Upgrade to libpython2.7 2.7.3-7 fails, breaking python entirely
Summary:
 python2.7(1 bug)
Are you sure you want to install/upgrade the above packages? [Y/n/?/...] 
So for those who just update/upgrade without checking and you python fails, this is why.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

the bug report >> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor ... =%23702005 (critical in amd64)
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Transitman »

ZZ, you're normally on top of LMDE Breakages - Tracking SID, and I have checked here for a few days to see if anyone else was having this issue.

Since no one else posted, I thought I would, hopefully to let others know and to get an answer to why it fails.
Thanks.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Does this affect i386? Right now my only Sid install is running on i386. So far I haven't had a problem with any upgrades, and I believe python still works.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

according to the bug report http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor ... 3702005#71 version 2.7.3-8 fixes this issue
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

cwwgateway wrote:Does this affect i386? Right now my only Sid install is running on i386. So far I haven't had a problem with any upgrades, and I believe python still works.
apparently it didn't http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor ... 3702005#28
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

So much for clean steam upgrades. (#26, et al.)

Better news, cinnamon 1.7 entered sid:

$ changelog cinnamon/sid
cinnamon (1.7.1-1) unstable; urgency=low

[ Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS) ]
  * Bump debian policy version to 3.9.4: no changes 
  * Enable hardening compilation flags

[ Nicolas Bourdaud ]
  * New upstream cinnamon_1.7.1
  * Set cinnnamon as alternative for x-window-manager (Closes: #700896)
  * Add missing dependency to gir1.2-caribou-1.0.
    (Fixes LP: #1106062 and LP: #1126721)
  * Remove embedded jquery version. new patch: remove-embbeded-jquery.patch
  * Make cinnamon-looking-glass runnable without GTK+-3.6
    - new patch: remove-gtk-menubutton.patch
  * Do not display mdmsetup in cinnamon-settings:
    - new patch: no-mdmsetup-settings.patch
  * Provides manpage for cinnamon-looking-glass and
    cinnamon-screensaver-lock-dialog.
  * Bump minimal version of libmuffin-dev build-depends to 1.7.1

-- Nicolas Bourdaud <nicolas.bourdaud@gmail.com>  Sun, 03 Mar 2013 23:35:50 +0100

$ install -t unstable cinnamon  # needs `cinnamon-common`
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Wow, that steam thing sucks :( . Is it possible to modify the package (extract it and then make it a .deb again) so it doesn't depend on jockey?

It's interesting that cinnamon 1.7 is in both Debian Sid and Arch considering its a dev release (I get that they are the newest stuff, but usually the stuff is officially released).
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

cwwgateway wrote:Wow, that steam thing sucks :( . Is it possible to modify the package (extract it and then make it a .deb again) so it doesn't depend on jockey?
The repo is here.

Remove steam:i386. The 1.0.0.35 upgrade is a transitional package for the new steam-launcher.

Extract the steam-launcher .deb. Edit DEBIAN/control to remove "jockey-common." Repackage to a .deb file and install it:

$ fakeroot dpkg -b steam-launcher/
$ sudo dpkg -i steam-launcher_1.0.0.35_all.deb
Working so far here.
It's interesting that cinnamon 1.7 is in both Debian Sid and Arch considering its a dev release (I get that they are the newest stuff, but usually the stuff is officially released).
I'd love to see cinnamon and nemo's point releases land in LMDE/romeo.
GeneC

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - (Tracking SID!) -APR 17, 2013

Post by GeneC »

NOTE:
This is not SID specific, it comes from Mint.
EDIT:
Correction. It does come from Debian SID (Thanks 'zerozero')

Today's update of Nemo put an unwanted Trash Can Icon on my desktop .

Commit Log for Wed Apr 17 07:23:48 2013

Upgraded the following packages:
libnemo-extension1 (1.1.2+lmde) to 1.7.2-1
nemo (1.1.2+lmde) to 1.7.2-1
nemo-data (1.1.2+lmde) to 1.7.2-1
LMDE (201303) Gnome-Shell 3.4

Turning it off with Gnome Tweak Tool (Advanced Settings>Desktop) did nothing.

If anyone else sees this and wants to get rid of it.

gconf-editor>org>nemo>desktop (clear = 'trash-icon-visible')
Last edited by GeneC on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

GeneC wrote:This is not SID specific, it comes from Mint.
Gene
just a note: those updates are from mint's nemo to debian' sid nemo

nemo | 1.7.2-1 | sid | source, amd64, armel, armhf, hurd-i386, i386, ia64, kfreebsd-amd64, kfreebsd-i386, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, s390x, sparc
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor ... =692830#42
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

While this may cause some problems for all of us eventually (regardless of which branch you're tracking, although I believe, with Mint's apt pinning, it shouldn't be too much of a problem for Latest/Incoming), I'm glad nemo finally entered Debian (it makes cinnamon more accessible for Debian users and Debian's cinnamon more complete).

Return to “LMDE Archive”