Cannot install HP Officejet 6600

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
CitrusRain

Cannot install HP Officejet 6600

Post by CitrusRain »

Hello,

My mom bought a new wireless printer, and when I tried to install it to her LMDE based laptop, it installed, but does not work.
I used this: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... index.html

There was a lack of LMDE as a selection, and I could not remember how to tell what version the non -DE equivalent was or what version of Debian, so I just picked the most recent version of Linux Mint.

I get an error message after I installed the drivers and connect the printer "No printer driver for HP Officejet 6600"

I don't think I have given enough information, but I'm not sure what else to say.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Spinnekop

Re: Cannot install HP Officejet 6600

Post by Spinnekop »

run hp-check to see if the correct hp software is installed.

if not it will/should tell you to run hp-check --fix (I think)

then try hp-setup -i 192.168.1.68 (with the correct ip address of your printer)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

CitrusRain wrote:There was a lack of LMDE as a selection, and I could not remember how to tell what version the non -DE equivalent was or what version of Debian
Currently it's Debian Wheezy. That's until Wheezy gets released, after that it will be Jessie because LMDE is based on the current Debian Testing.
CitrusRain wrote:so I just picked the most recent version of Linux Mint.
That's where mistake probably is, as "the most recent version" is Ubuntu-based.

Well, I'd suggest installing hplip from the repository first (I think it should support your printer; see the minimum required version here). Unfortunately, now you'll first have to find a way to uninstall this version you've installed to avoid any conflicts. :)
CitrusRain

Post by CitrusRain »

Monsta wrote: Well, I'd suggest installing hplip from the repository first (I think it should support your printer; see the minimum required version here). Unfortunately, now you'll first have to find a way to uninstall this version you've installed to avoid any conflicts. :)
I think I did remove it completely, and I even hit remove and install in the terminal script. But it still does not work... wirelessly.
I just figured out that it is working with a wired connection. Otherwise, it cannot find the printer.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

If you removed it, you can now try the version from the repository and see if it works.
CitrusRain

Post by CitrusRain »

Monsta wrote:If you removed it, you can now try the version from the repository and see if it works.
Well, I don't know how to remove it other than with the "remove and reinstall" option, and my mom doesn't seem to care anymore. She says she'll just plug it in.
Spinnekop

Post by Spinnekop »

There is apparently a problem with hplip that it can set up a wireless printer with a usb cable but doesn't work wirelessly.

I had the same problem and the solution I posted above worked for me - I got is from a gentoo forum

Spinnekop

Return to “LMDE Archive”