After installing Mint 14, unable to boot into Win8 or Mint.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rasdaj

After installing Mint 14, unable to boot into Win8 or Mint.

Post by rasdaj »

This is my first time using Linux so please forgive my lack of knowledge.

After what seemed to be a succsessful install of Mint 14, I tried to reboot into mint. The computer would just boot straight back into Windows 8 like normal. I tried several times and the same thing happened. So I booted back to Mint on the USB drive and found a tutorial on how to type some code into the terminal to fix the grub bootloader. I followed all the directions and tried to reboot. Now everytime I try to reboot it fails and I get left on a black Grub screen with the message "minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub>"

The only thing I have been able to do here is type exit which takes me to a menu where every option fails except to boot off of the usb drive again. That is the only one that actually works.

I have no idea what to do here and am in way over my head. I just wanted to try linux out because I'm so frustrated with windows 8. I would be so grateful for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: After installing Mint 14, unable to boot into Win8 or Mi

Post by bigj231 »

Did you install Mint in EFI mode? If not you need to reinstall.
Also, look for tutorials on reinstalling the Windows 8 bootloader. That will let you boot into windows again.

Return to “Installation & Boot”