Asus P5P43TD-PRO + partitions>2GB (GPT) + dual boot Win 7

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trancephorm

Asus P5P43TD-PRO + partitions>2GB (GPT) + dual boot Win 7

Post by trancephorm »

Hello!

Seems like a very complicated thing to achieve dual boot (Mint 14 KDE & Windows 7) on my setup... Actually I tried it 2 years ago and I gave up. Now I'm even more determined to switch to Linux and I want to try again because things may be different now...

As far as I can see, my board does not support legacy boot, only EFI, there's no option like "legacy boot" in bios, or similar, and in all the tutorials I saw, they say you temporarily need to switch to legacy boot... and I need my disks to be GPT because I need partition > 2 TB. Actually, I use 2x2TB stripped volume with two logical disks, one is system ~170 GB, the rest of 3.8 TB is data...

Also tried Wubi thing - doesn't work, but that's the kind of path I don't wanna go...

Can please someone help? Thanks...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Asus P5P43TD-PRO + partitions>2GB (GPT) + dual boot Win

Post by catweazel »

I searched google and read the manual. As far as I can see, your board does not support EFI boot, only legacy.
and I need my disks to be GPT because I need partition > 2 TB
Who told you that? ext4 supports partitions up to 1 exabyte and files up to 16 terabytes in size.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
trancephorm

Post by trancephorm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record article says it can't be bigger than 2 TB
as for my board, thanks... somehow i was thinking completely opposite... Still is there some tutorial someone can recommend?
trancephorm

Post by trancephorm »

Think I've found the tutorial... http://kevinmccaughey.org/?p=182 Will update on how it works...
trancephorm

Post by trancephorm »

Finally, I found out it's impossible because mdadm –assemble –scan returns nothing (mdadm can't detect ich10r intel raid controller and arrays on it). It's related to some bug.

Return to “Installation & Boot”