desktop changes once in a while (mint 14-64 bit/cinnamon)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
doronba
Level 2
Level 2

desktop changes once in a while (mint 14-64 bit/cinnamon)

Post by doronba »

hi,
i am using mint 14 64-bit, cinnamon desktop environment and i love it.
but
it acts in an unpredictable way :
after i organized my desktop, putting the trash bin in the left bottom corner, put the folders where i wanted them to be according to what they consist of, deleted the computer icon and home folder from the desktop, it all worked fine for a while.
and then, weird phenomenons started to occur :
1. one day, the trash bin dissapeared but the computer icon and the home folder re-appeared. also, the order of all the folders and files on the desktop changed.
2. sometimes when i turn on my computer, all the files and folders are missing from the desktop, and only after i open the home folder it all re-appeares again.
3. the left upper corner doesn't serve as a workspace changer (hot-corner), the only way i can change workspaces is to open cinnamon settings > hot corner settings > hot corner icon visible on, but it's not comfortable, as most of the times the windows are open all over the desktop, and the [x+-] options to close/minimise the window are in the same place where th hot corner icon is.

i am using linux mint 14 64-bit, cinnamon 1.6.7, GLX-dock (Cairo-Dock with OpenGL).

any idea how to solve these 3 problems ? maybe something in setings of cinnamon ? maybe some iterference between cairo-dock and cinnamon ?

thnx
doronba
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Chris_Z
Level 1
Level 1

Re: desktop changes once in a while (mint 14-64 bit/cinnamon

Post by Chris_Z »

Nemo (or Nautilus) handle your desktop icons (among other things).
Each of them maintains its own view of desktop layout.

One of these should be set as default manager for handling the desktop and set as a startup program.
If default manager does not start, the icons will be missing until whichever of above is started manually.

It is possible that neither or both are (wrongly) defined as startup programs.
Whichever of them starts first it will override the other even if the other one was set as a default manager.

Furthermore, if both are started during startup they will effectively disable each other.

You may also find following worth reading:

http://www.fandigital.com/2013/01/set-n ... buntu.html
doronba
Level 2
Level 2

Re: desktop changes once in a while (mint 14-64 bit/cinnamon

Post by doronba »

ok thnx
none is mentioned in start up manager
how to do it please/

Return to “Cinnamon”