[Solved] Help with Nvidia driver, please

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LNXlady

[Solved] Help with Nvidia driver, please

Post by LNXlady »

I'm having trouble with extreme slowness so I checked my video driver with inxi -Gx and it was using the Nouveau driver and said Failed. I installed the Nvidia driver from Additional Driivers and rebooted but I'm still getting Failed. I'm running LMKDE 14 (32bit). I'd appreciate any help.

Code: Select all

~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G86 [GeForce 8500 GT] bus-ID: 02:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) FAILED: nvidia Resolution: 1440x900@59.9hz 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Help with Nvidia driver, please

Post by karlchen »

Hello, LNXlady.

Your NVidia driver is in use. So far everything is all right. - The "Failed" statement is a bug introduced by inxi v1.8.x. I see it on Mint 14 as well. It does not happen on Mint 13 though. There it will state "Loaded:" correctly.

The Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT should work perfectly using Nividia 304.88. At minimum, mine does.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
LNXlady

Re: Help with Nvidia driver, please

Post by LNXlady »

karlchen wrote:Hello, LNXlady.

Your NVidia driver is in use. So far everything is all right. - The "Failed" statement is a bug introduced by inxi v1.8.x. I see it on Mint 14 as well. It does not happen on Mint 13 though. There it will state "Loaded:" correctly.

The Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT should work perfectly using Nividia 304.88. At minimum, mine does.

Kind regards,
Karl
OK, thanks Karl. I guess I need to start a new thread to see if I can get some help on the slowness issue. I tried searching but it says "slow" is too common a word so it won't let me, LOL. It's definitely much slower than any other distro I've run on this computer so there must be something that needs tweaking somewhere.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [Solved] Help with Nvidia driver, please

Post by karlchen »

Hello, LNXlady.

In order to diagnose bad performance or slowliness issues, it will be really helpful to know a bit more about your hardware. So you might like to post the screen output of the commandline

Code: Select all

inxi -Fx
It will give a concise summary of your system hardware and the drivers which are in use.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”