What size SSD...?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
base1268

What size SSD...?

Post by base1268 »

I'm gonna update my lappy a bit n plan to replace the 640gb HDD with a Solid State Drive... I figure I'll keep all my files and data on an external HDD.

I plan to run Linux with a VM inside so wondered if anyone has any advise on what would be an appropriate size SSD... small enough to keep money in my pocket but big enough to run my lappy.... at light speed........ :lol:

Onya's
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: What size SSD...?

Post by xenopeek »

Depends on what all you do, but generally you want your root partition to be about 20 GB (30 GB if you are using KDE) and that will be enough for basic installation (about 6 GB) and any applications you later add. If you have your home folder with your data files on the HDD (or have a another way a separate mount on the HDD for your data files), then probably a 32 GB SSD would suffice. That is assuming the VM storage also goes on the HDD. I'd personally rather pick 64 GB so you can have enough space to keep your VM's disk image also on the SSD. Note sure about how much more that will cost you. I'd recommend http://www.storagereview.com/ for reviews on SSD performance.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

It mostly depends on your budget. Bigger SSDs are generally faster (assuming same product family). I run a 128GB SSD for only Mint, no VMs. All my files (including music) and a complete install with 65GB free space. I personally would not buy anything smaller than a ~120GB SSD, as you start running out of space pretty quick. They can be had for ~$100 USD.

(I only have a 15GB root partition with KDE. Still have 9GB free.)

Also, depending on your computer model, you can usually get a HDD caddy to replace your DVD drive. Then you can keep your 640GB HDD and still boot quickly. The only downside is you lose your DVD drive.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

bigj231 wrote:(I only have a 15GB root partition with KDE. Still have 9GB free.)
I meant / + /home + /var + /tmp. Perhaps this has improved, but in the past KDE's Nepomuk would on a clean install somehow assemble 10 GB worth of cache. Maybe that feature has been removed.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I also run KDE with a 20 Gb root partition. I am now using 30%. I doubt I will ever get to 100%.

I'm not very familiar with Nepomuk(some kind of indexing service?) but in systems settings the main enable checkbox is unchecked, by default I believe. I haven't touched it and I don't want it.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Confirmed it's been reworked for KDE 4.10 :) Here is a good summary of what it does: http://www.muktware.com/5417/semantic-d ... nd-nepomuk

Back on topic; I agree a larger SSD would be worth looking at. Compare prices. Older models can be at least as expensive as newer models, but with the newer models having more storage. I have a 80 GB SSD, which was getting crowded so I added a 240 GB SSD beside it. A 120GB SSD would have carried me over further, but of course if you still have a HDD besides it that is a moot point.

Return to “Beginner Questions”