Mouse and Keyboard Logitech M510 & k350

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rafapq

Mouse and Keyboard Logitech M510 & k350

Post by rafapq »

Hello everyone,

I have a mouse and keyboard Logitech m510 & K350 and the thing is that when I start the computer sometime it works sometimes not (generally it does not work), when it doesn't work I unplug the wireless adapter and plug it again (that solutions always works).

The thing is that is annoying. In widows works perfect even in Ubuntu 11.04 works fine (i have antoher computer with Ubuntu 11.04 and was working perfect, I got a new computer and now I have this problem, but if I connected again to Ubuntu 11.04 it works).

I would like to find a solution, why it always works if I unplug it and plug it again? why sometimes it works when the computer start?

I have read some thread similars, but I don't think that buy another mouse or find one ps2 is a solution.

This is the info of inix -Fc 0

System: Host: S855 Kernel: 3.2.0-34-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3)
Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine: System: TOSHIBA (portable) product: Satellite S855 version: PSKFUU-001003
Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Portable PC version: MP Bios: Insyde version: 6.30 date: 09/21/2012
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 19156
Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz 3: 1200.00 MHz 4: 1200.00 MHz 5: 1200.00 MHz 6: 1200.00 MHz 7: 1200.00 MHz 8: 1200.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Ivy Bridge Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: vesa,fbdev) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 8.0.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: Intel Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network: Card-1: Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet driver: alx port: 3000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:8c:fa:20:04:de
Card-2: Realtek Device 8723 port: 2000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: N/A state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
Drives: HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (1.3% used) 1: /dev/sda Hitachi_HTS54757 750.2GB
Partition: ID: / size: 28G used: 5.0G (20%) fs: ext4 ID: /boot size: 358M used: 49M (15%) fs: ext2
ID: /home size: 153G used: 4.3G (3%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.05GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 46.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 187 Uptime: 50 min Memory: 991.5/7874.0MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.6.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Mouse and Keyboard Logitech M510 & k350

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I had a similar problem with a Logitech mouse on a new HP Pavilion with specs similar to your Toshiba. The problem turned out to be use of the USB 2 port for the mouse dongle (wireless adapter). I moved the dongle to one of the available USB 3 ports and have been problem free ever since.

I checked the Toshiba S855 and found that this system includes two USB 3 ports and one USB 2 port. Try changing the wireless adapter from the current port to one of the others. (From USB 2 to USB 3) This may work for you as it did for me.
Klitias

Post by Klitias »

It doesn't make any sence. I have exactly the same problem with ms wireless 5000 mouse n ms wireless 6000 keyboard. The problem appeared in mint 14. Mint 13 works perfectly. I tried kernel update, but the problem remained. So, I got back to mint 13 and keep telling my friends to stay at mint 13 because mint 14's stability is seriously questioned. Besides, many people decide to use Mint in their every-day working computers. So they don't have time for experiments. Experiments are for developers. Some of us are developers, but most of us are not....
rafapq

Post by rafapq »

Well plug in into A usb 3.0 didn't work, beside still make no sense to me why sometimes works and why sometimes doesn't.

And about new kernels I don't know if it would be worse... I was working just fine in Ubuntu 11.04... the mouse and keyboard work like a charm, now linux mint 13 that should have better support, doesn't work?

I still have another problems but I hope to get a solution.
servic

Post by servic »

I have a different problem with k350 with mint nadia 64bit cinnamon. Although it is a qwertz keyboard it behaved like qwerty before the user was logged in. After logon it turned back to qwerz but showed rather sluggish behaviour. So typing anything on it was a disaster.

I too updated Kernel to 3.7 without any effect. So I now use my older keyboard and it works fine. Would be interesting to know if there is a solution though.
jdedourek

Post by jdedourek »

Under Ubuntu 12.04 the mouse originally worked. Then it became eratic. Then it began to work again. The mouse appears to be still erratic under Mint 13. I believe for Ubuntu, the problem was fixed by an update, likely linux-image-3.2.0-31-generic-pae 3.2.0-31.50. Looking upstream at kernel.org, the release notes for kernel version 3.2.31 stable there is the following commit:

commit e189acb13e2dea021825975493d8e5222557df65 Author: Nestor Lopez Casado Date: Fri Sep 21 12:21:34 2012 +0200

HID: Fix logitech-dj: missing Unifying device issue

commit 596264082f10dd4a567c43d4526b2f54ac5520bc upstream.

This patch fixes an issue introduced after commit 4ea5454203d991ec
("HID: Fix race condition between driver core and ll-driver").

After that commit, hid-core discards any incoming packet that arrives while
hid driver's probe function is being executed.

This broke the enumeration process of hid-logitech-dj, that must receive
control packets in-band with the mouse and keyboard packets. Discarding mouse
or keyboard data at the very begining is usually fine, but it is not the case
for control packets.

This patch forces a re-enumeration of the paired devices when a packet arrives
that comes from an unknown device.

Based on a patch originally written by Benjamin Tissoires.

Signed-off-by: Nestor Lopez Casado <nlopezcasad@logitech.com>
Signed-off-by: Jiri Kosina <jkosina@suse.cz>
Signed-off-by: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>

It remains to be investigated whether Mint 13 has applied this patch or upgraded to this upstream kernel.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Hmmm just bought a Logitech M510 mouse yesterday. Didn't even reboot plugged in and zero issues so far.
Cinnamon 14 64bit. Been running 24 hrs. so far.

Maybe a particular system and how it's usb ports fare? Or weak batteries?
Wish I could help more resolving or identifying issue.
liquidstupid

Post by liquidstupid »

I am also running Linux Mint 14 with Cinnamon. My keyboard is a Logitech k360, and I have found that under typical desktop conditions lag is not an issue (though I do notice lag when performing updates). It's only when gaming does the poor responsiveness of the keyboard become evident. Face it - it's a cheap keyboard. :?

The only game that demonstrates this issue effectively for me is Minecraft. :roll: I've had frequent instances of sustained key-presses occurring 2-6 seconds (or more) afterwards. In the event you're wondering, the same keyboard is flawless in Mint 14 KDE 32bit, though the mouse doesn't behave. Without support from Logitech on this front, it's up to the Mint team to "Get It Right". Though this is essentially "driverless" hardware, as I understand it.

I realize the only alternative is to use something else, but I hope that explains things a little.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

liquidstupid wrote: Without support from Logitech on this front, it's up to the Mint team to "Get It Right". Though this is essentially "driverless" hardware, as I understand it.

I realize the only alternative is to use something else, but I hope that explains things a little.
Sorry to many gaming issues and graphics driver issues. And really not up to the Mint Team to resolve proprietary keyboard or mouse issues. It's up to the manufactures to do that. Or if other linux users come up with a solution.

Generally keyboard & mouse lagging,dragging,sporadic operation is first a proprietary graphics driver most of the time.
Again not a Mint Team issue.
liquidstupid

Post by liquidstupid »

And really not up to the Mint Team to resolve proprietary keyboard or mouse issues. It's up to the manufactures to do that.
It's interesting you should say that, because having just swapped the logitech keyboard for a PS2 HP branded keyboard (which is also logitech) lagging occurs as well, but is not as pronounced. Additionally, and as a further step, having upgraded the Nvidia driver to the latest (310.44) yielded little improvement. I'm not a coder, but I get the impression this has much to do with poorly supported *nix drivers, which I well understand.

I'll accept it's not a Mint team issue, but the code has to fall in someone's lap, and even if this knowledge doesn't assist the Mint team, perhaps it will elucidate some of the community. If nothing else FYI have it's uses.

P.S. Am I misunderstanding the nature of HID drivers? What code base is the team using to support keyboards and mice? I realize my knowledge on this subject is flaky at best.
Klitias

Post by Klitias »

liquidstupid wrote:
And really not up to the Mint Team to resolve proprietary keyboard or mouse issues. It's up to the manufactures to do that.
So, in mint 10,11,12,13 it WAS up to the Mint Team to resolve proprietary keyboard or mouse issues (no problem at all under those distros) and now, in mint 14 it is NOT...

Ιnteresting view, indeed. Not a good excuse, though...

:(

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=118484
gaetawoo

Post by gaetawoo »

For me the solution was here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... omments/50

My comment is at the end of that bug report.

I have the m510 and k800. neither would work unless I unplugged and replugged. making those changes to the conf file fixed it.

UPDATE:

spoke too soon. on a second reboot, it didn't work.

Return to “Hardware Support”