Email client needed but, please, not Thunderbird...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Email client needed but, please, not Thunderbird...

Post by markfilipak »

I'm writing this here (the Mint forum) under the assumption that it's the Mint folks who included Thunderbird. Actually, I don't know where the boundaries are between the Linux kernel, Mint, and Xfce.

I need an email client that does not use mbox. Any email storage system that uses file-per-message methods would be fine, but not Thunderbird (its maildir is not supported and doesn't make proper maildir file names).

The email client doesn't need to be a local server - there will be no other application accessing the mail store.

I tried Claws but there were too many bugs.

I installed Evolution and fiddled with configuration but couldn't discover what type of mail system it uses, so I removed it.

I installed Kmail and fiddled with configuration but couldn't discover what type of mail system it uses. Also, when I tried to get help, it wouldn't get help but instead complained that some kde package was missing.

Thanks for any help you care to give.
Mark.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: Email client needed but, please, not Thunderbird...

Post by bigj231 »

I think you just went through the list of major ones. Here's something to look at. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... il_clients It's a lot of info, but it should help you pick out the right one. FYI, Evolution & kmail both support maildir and mbox. KDE apps on a non-KDE usually makes a mess though, so I would stick with evolution. EDIT: seems like evolution stores messages as mbox instead of maildir. Kmail does the same by default.
And yes, the Mint devs included Thunderbird.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

bigj231 wrote:...look at. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... il_clients It's a lot of info...
That's where I compiled my list. I was hoping it was out of date.
bigj231 wrote:...KDE apps on a non-KDE usually makes a mess though, so I would stick with evolution.
I'm a Linux newbie and that's exactly the kind of info I need. Thanks!
bigj231 wrote:EDIT: seems like evolution stores messages as mbox instead of maildir. Kmail does the same by default.
And yes, the Mint devs included Thunderbird.
Evolution would be fine but I couldn't figure out what method it used and how to set it. Do you know how to set up Evolution? I checked with the controlling desktop docs ...Gnome I think... but I couldn't find the answer. Perhaps there's a Gnome forum? I'll search, but if you know, would you kindly clue me into it?

Regards,
Mark.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

KDE apps on a non-KDE usually makes a mess though
For the benefit of newbies reading through this thread, the above statement is not, generally accurate. Since dirt was invented, I've run a number of kde apps quite successfully in non kde environments on a consistent basis. What will happen when you install the first kde app in a non-kde desktop is that you will also install a long list of kde libraries.

-DataMan
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

DataMan wrote:
KDE apps on a non-KDE usually makes a mess though
For the benefit of newbies reading through this thread, the above statement is not, generally accurate. Since dirt was invented, I've run a number of kde apps quite successfully in non kde environments on a consistent basis. What will happen when you install the first kde app in a non-kde desktop is that you will also install a long list of kde libraries.

-DataMan
+1 from me. You saved me the bother of protesting the statement with an "Unmittigated drivel" assertion. Ta.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JWJones

Post by JWJones »

markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

I've heard that the more KDE applications that you install, the better are the chances that a needed library file will already be present when you install your next KDE-app.

I installed Kmail and some KDE libraries were missing, so some things didn't work and threw errors.

It occurs to me that the more K-apps you install, the more your system becomes Linux Mint + KDE regardless of how it began life. For a system like mine that's Linux Mint + Xfce, then what bigj231 wrote makes a lot of sense. Wouldn't you agree?

Thanks guys - Mark.

Return to “Software & Applications”