desktop backgroound image

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jsplicer

desktop backgroound image

Post by jsplicer »

I feel like an idiot. But I have been pulling my hair out of my head trying to change the dektop background. I can not find any of the usual ways to do it.

Someone please save my sanity! All I want to do is change the picture in the background why do they make it so difficult?

John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: desktop backgroound image

Post by caf4926 »

You really need to say if you are using KDE, Mate, XFCE, Cinnamon
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
jsplicer

Post by jsplicer »

My apologies...I was so agravated that I thought I did. I am using Linux Mint 14 KDE 64 bit.

I usually just right click to change background image, or click on the wallpaper and right click on that to set as desktop background. I can't find even any other choices for other backgrounds the OS suplies. The Mate version of linux mint at least gives you choices of pictures to change to. There has to be a way...I never used KDE before, so I am not familiar with it.

Thanks for any help,

John
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

What's so hard as I right-click desktop properties and the View opens up with default wallpapers.
If none I want there then I click on Open which allows me to browse to any folder I may have wallpaper stored.

The nice thing in KDE is when I apply it then is copied into the default wallpapers so is there in the list for future use.
And KDE also allows me to set different wallpaper on dual displays.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Because kde uses activity workspaces it's different
Right click> unlock widgets
Right click > desktop/folder view settings (depends on what you have), you should see what I mean and what to do from there

when you are done > right click lock widgets
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

caf4926 wrote:Because kde uses activity workspaces it's different
Right click> unlock widgets
Right click > desktop/folder view settings (depends on what you have), you should see what I mean and what to do from there

when you are done > right click lock widgets
???? what's that got to do with changing desktop wallpaper. And don't understand the need and what this accomplishes?
As we are talking of just changing desktop wallpaper here?
Sorry new and always willing to learn something new.
jsplicer

Post by jsplicer »

I tried both of your suggestions. "What is so hard here" is that when I right click on the desktop, I dont get any properties or any list of wall papers. I do get the lock or unlock widgets, which I also tried, but to no avail.

This stubborn OS is not letting me change my desktop picture, plain and simple. Does it have anything to do with themes? Is there a way to get rid of a theme?
jsplicer

Post by jsplicer »

I got it back to where Orbmiser had his settings, by following caf4926 settings, and clicking on 'Default Desktop'. It then went back to normal. So thank you both for your help! :D I never thought changing a desktop picture would be so damn frustrating. lol!

KDE is a beautiful desktop environment, it just has so many differrent configurations, more than Mate even. That it gets confusing as to what you are used to doing without even giving it a second thought.

Thanks again guys!

John
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Hmmm glad you figured it out. Just don't know enough I guess why just right-clicking desktop doesn't work.
As never had to unlock widgets first.
6668.png
Panel/Widgets are not unlocked and right-click always seemed to work for me.
So maybe will learn something new? If someone chimes in and explain why it didn't work for you.

Glad you got it solved tho!
jsplicer

Post by jsplicer »

Orbmiser -Thanks Bro, it had me going nuts. But not only did I have to unlock the widgets, on the bottom of the panel I had to check the 'default desktop' also. And as you stated, I dont know why this happened, I just installed KDE yesterday, so it may have been something in the updating I let it do after installing it. Matter of fact after right clicking on the desktop just now I get the same panel, and on the bottom of the panel says 'Default Desktop Settings ALT + D, ALT + S . I don't get the usual panel, that I got in Mate.

I'm going to dig around further try to get to the bottom of this to help others if they come across it. Doesn't matter to me, my problems started yesterday, when I lost everything on both hard drives. Luckily I had my music backed up, and important photo's on my phone. I was able to restore my bookmarks into firefox from sync on my phone. Anyway after Mate became bricked after installing Wine and Play for Linux, my problems started. I was no longer even able to install Mate the login window would go into an endless loop, even after wiping both drives clean, then it said grub refused to install because of a fatal error. So I tried Ubunto 12.10, that installed but was so buggy I couldnt take it, it froze on me every 10 minutes for something a few different reasons. So my last hope was to try my KDE .iso, that installed without a hitch.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

I was able to restore my bookmarks into firefox from sync on my phone.
Use the xmarks extension on all devices for firefox and believe it is available for Chrome.
First thing I do fresh install firefox is the xmarks extension. Tablet,Windows or Linux I have my bookmarks.
And retrieves them from their server for pain free bookmarks. And keeps them synced for freshness.

Good luck as sounds like maybe hardware issues are giving a run for your money.
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

Hello,
I have the same setting and similar issue as jslicer:
I'm running Linux Mint 14 on my PC and I want to add some pictures to the "Change Desktop Background" Wallpaper pictures:

---> right-click anywhere on Desktop and
---> select "Change Desktop Background" then
---> the window "Cinnamon Settings - Backgrounds" opens

How can I add my own pictures so that they appear in this (attached) selection?

Orbmiser's answer was:
Orbmiser wrote:What's so hard as I right-click desktop properties and the View opens up with default wallpapers.
If none I want there then I click on Open which allows me to browse to any folder I may have wallpaper stored.
Now I want to ask Orbmiser what he means by "....If none I want there then I click on Open...."? because this is exactly what I want to do! Where is this Open button?
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Sorry Cariboo but Cinnamon is different then the KDE desktop that we were discussing.
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

Orbmiser wrote:Sorry Cariboo but Cinnamon is different then the KDE desktop that we were discussing.

OK got it ... :oops:
thank you anyway.,.
do you happen to know how it works in Cinnamon?
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

When I ran Cinnamon just put the wallpapers in my pics folder and in Nemo right click set as background I believe.
Otherwise need to find where those wallpapers in root are and copy which ones you want to there.
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

Orbmiser wrote:......
Otherwise need to find where those wallpapers in root are and copy which ones you want to there.
That's what I desperately try to do but there is kind of a discrepancy....the backgrounds listed in "Cinnamon Settings - Backgrounds" can not be found under these names. Is there another way to search for them? If I would find the location of those two I would be at the right place to put my own pictures in.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Right picture shows a "Advanced Settings" did you click on that drop down menu and see what's in there?
Trying to remember been awhile using Cinnamon. But think you click on that to access loading wallpaper from other location?
sjmcc

Post by sjmcc »

The folder you are looking for is /usr/share/backgrounds. I am running the cinnamon nightlies and the new version of cinnamon that will be in Mint 15 allows you to add and remove them right from the backgrounds page in cinnamon settings.
TheWatcher

Post by TheWatcher »

sjmcc wrote:The folder you are looking for is /usr/share/backgrounds. I am running the cinnamon nightlies and the new version of cinnamon that will be in Mint 15 allows you to add and remove them right from the backgrounds page in cinnamon settings.
Thanx for your direct no bullshit answer,it gets kinda difficult filtering thru all the technical answers that include "everything and a kitchen sink",,, but without an answer..i did figure out that to copy to that folder i have to terminal and sudo nemo for the permissions to copy to it.

I am running Lmint17 with cinnamon and love it,have dropped windows totally(until last yr my favorite was ultimate),gotta admit that figuring everything out has been a challenge with some of the answers i have gotten from everyone that tries to impress me with their knowledge of linuxmint that doesnt have anything to do with what i asked...wallpaers are my current challenge,if you can help with that with some direct answers pm me please.
Kholargol

Post by Kholargol »

Same thing, I would like to change my desktop wallpaper but I don't knwo how to do.

I think I unticked some options in my desktop contextual menu. Now it looks like that and I don't know how to reset.

I don't understand why desktop wallpaper settings are not in "Workspace appearance and beahvior" (in System Settings)

Return to “Software & Applications”