<SOLVED>How to add a desktop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Miss Bit
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED>How to add a desktop

Post by Miss Bit »

New to Mint I am surprised that I only have 1 desktop. My previous os were Xubuntu with Mate, here I could add or remove desktops/workspaces, which I thought was normal in Linux in general. Is that not possible in Mint?
Edit: I use Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sujitnag

Re: How to add a desktop

Post by sujitnag »

it is very much possible.
which one you use (cinnamon,mate , kde, xfce, lxde)
Miss Bit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Miss Bit »

I use Mate.
But if I only have one desktop there must be a package I can install to have more?
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

You don't need anything more. MATE manages virtual desktops by itself, like other DEs.
Miss Bit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Miss Bit »

Thanks, but what do I do? How can I add another workspace?
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

The quickest way is to use the "workspace switcher applet" in the panel. Of course, if you removed it, you might think you only have 1 desktop.
Miss Bit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Miss Bit »

Thank you. I have not removed the applet from the panel, I had to add it, so now I can swich between and add/remove workspaces.
Miss Bit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Miss Bit »

BTW I downloaded the Linux Mint MATE Edition Official User Guide, but did not find anything about workspaces in it.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

press ctrl, alt and right arrow to go right to a new desktop
ctrl, alt and left to go back
Miss Bit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Miss Bit »

stephenmcgehee

Post by stephenmcgehee »

I have Workspace Switcher applet installed and enabled, but the plus button to add another workspace isn't there. The right side of the screen is completely empty when I use the Hot Corner. When I move the cursor along the right edge, the cursor does not change or anything like that.

The Hot Corner is set up and appears to work correctly. It is set to Compiz Expo, and when I place the cursor in the upper left corner, I get a smaller version of the desktop with the rest of the screen faded out.

I am using Linux Mint 13 pretty much as installed.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

You are talking about "hot corner". The OP topic is about MATE configuration, not about Cinnamon's. However, if you want to configure multiple desktop for Compiz+MATE, you have to configure Compiz for multiple desktops, not MATE.
Spinnekop

Post by Spinnekop »

Dear Miss Bit

Welcome to Linux Mint and hope you enjoy it. It can be a 'bit' of a learning curve but it is worth sticking with. IMHO Cinnamon is a 'prettier' desktop if you have the hardware for it. Cairo-dock is fun too if you like the 'Mac' look. You can have a lot of fun trying different desktop environments and customisations if that is your thing!

Enjoy :wink:

Spinnekop

(And don't be intimidated by the 'gurus'. Even they were newbies once)
stephenmcgehee

Post by stephenmcgehee »

eanfrid wrote:You are talking about "hot corner". The OP topic is about MATE configuration, not about Cinnamon's. However, if you want to configure multiple desktop for Compiz+MATE, you have to configure Compiz for multiple desktops, not MATE.
Thank you, eanfrid. Still a lot for me to figure out. I've been "doing computers" since the days when I sat at a keypunch machine and typed one line of code per Hollerith card, carried the stack of cards to the girl at the window, then waited for my name to be called to pick up a stack of green bar paper to see if the program worked. Always something new to learn. Again, thank you for putting me back on the right track.
Miss Bit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Miss Bit »

Spinnekop wrote:Dear Miss Bit

Welcome to Linux Mint and hope you enjoy it. It can be a 'bit' of a learning curve but it is worth sticking with. IMHO Cinnamon is a 'prettier' desktop if you have the hardware for it. Cairo-dock is fun too if you like the 'Mac' look. You can have a lot of fun trying different desktop environments and customisations if that is your thing!

Enjoy :wink:
Thank you very much. So far Mint with Mate looks promising, though with a few challenges, but then it won't get boring :!:
I changed to Mint to get at system 'born' with Mate, but I expect my curiosity one day will bring me to taste Cinnamon :wink:

Return to “Beginner Questions”