Shutting down services in Mint

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iamclueless

Shutting down services in Mint

Post by iamclueless »

just finished tweaking the services on a Mepis 7.0 install on a laptop... at boot it is at about 170mb RAM. really pleased with it.

now i want to do the same for a desktop install of Mint XFCE 3.0 Cassandra.

one thing i dont really like about it right now is how long it takes to boot. id like to shorten it and save RAM by cutting out services.

how do i see a full list of services running? i know about the >>>System >>>Services on the menu... but surely that is not all of them

im looking for something like ksysv for KDE? or sysvconfig from terminal -- sorry im only familiar with the Mepis ones at this point.

could someone give me a basic step by step guide. i know there are Ubuntu tweak guides out there.. .but i cant mess this up :) its the house computer.

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Shutting down services in Mint

Post by Husse »

I feel like your nick :)
I think this has better chances for an answer in the XFCE section
Topic moved
iamclueless

Post by iamclueless »

ive sorted it out. still would like to know about some of the services... like festival??? whaaat????
Husse

Post by Husse »

Festival is a free software for speech synthesis. ...
And what did you do? My knowledge of XFCE is limited so I'd like to know
iamclueless

Post by iamclueless »

nothing too hard... and nothing specific to xfce really (but i wasnt sure if there were Mint specific ones i shouldnt mess with)

sudo aptitude install sysv-rc-conf
(you get the application that allows you to see and change the services)

sudo sysv-rc-conf
(runs it in the terminal)
be careful with it because one mouse click deactivates or activates the service without you really noticing it.

then its a matter of changing the services on run level 5 (im assuming 5 is the defaulted one)

I basically went down the list and decided what i could do without... ie. HP printer support, any LAN related services, bluetooth, etc

Festival is not needed then i can assume

Return to “Xfce”