scratchy sound in Skype

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mr.acid

scratchy sound in Skype

Post by mr.acid »

Code: Select all

System:    Host fx8120 Kernel 3.2.0-3-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
Audio:     Card Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
Hi!

In Skype 4.0.0.8 (deb/amd64) the sound is completely scratchy most of the times. The rest of the applications using the sound device are running perfect (e.g VLC etc.). The soundserver is PULSE.

Someone here experienced same probs and have a solution to this?

Thx for input!

best regards,
Acid
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bonsaii

Re: scratchy sound in Skype

Post by Bonsaii »

Hi,

Yep, I had that too. The "usual suspects" are:

In Skype Options --> Sound Devices --> un-check "Allow Skype to automatically adjust mixer levels"

In Sound & Video --> Volume Control --> Recording --> make sure "Digital" is muted or down to zero

Good luck!
Otyugh

Post by Otyugh »

Despite of that, scratch is continuing :(
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Have on different computers. All were remastersys from same initial 'master'.
On one (my wifes) skype (shes the primary user of app to sons (uses win 8 I belive) sound was scratchy also, but all other sound apps seemed fine.
Only solution found was to totally purge 'pulseaudio' from system. :wink:

Even telling system to not boot 'pulseaudio' in system service wouldn't work. PURGE only thing work (because a desktop ALSA was all thats really needed anyways).

J.Jay

P.S. same with other distros (Only that computer) Sound card (maybe :roll: )
Otyugh

Post by Otyugh »

Purge totally ? Hard.
I must admit that pulsaudio is quite strange, considering that he is sometimes using a lot of processor, but it is doing his job quite good as well.

I don't see myself lose it just for some skype abomination. Thought mumble is quite more complicated for set up instant informall meetings. I'll certainly try jabber for text messages now x)

Ho, and wait. Sometimes the sounds works greats. What the... O.o
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Ya purging pulseaudio is drastic measure and wouldn't do if could or somebody find correct solution!

But my wife uses skype to video call son (and some other relatives) would like to get them to use 'gmail' where their 'gtalk' with video seems to work great with video calls in linux. Can't force other to use gmail just for are (wife's) benefit.

J.Jay

P.S. can install other distro (that don,t use pulse) but end up looking like LMint anyways! So save time install 'Mint' and uninstall pulseaudio on one computer.
Otyugh

Post by Otyugh »

But this is weird. I'll search further on Ubuntu's forum. - We don't change car when we need to change a light, come on !

Also i can say, skype sound works perfectly 1/3 of the time. So I don't think it's too far to work perfectly someday :D

> "/etc/pulse/default.pa", change "load-module module-udev-detect" by "load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0" && reboot

...Gosh, seem to work O_o
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

We don't change car when we need to change a light, come on !
Nope but if need car and light keeps flickering I might take the bulb out! :roll:

not got rid of car just the problem/anoyance. Can always replace blub if find fix.
/etc/pulse/default.pa", change "load-module module-udev-detect" by "load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0" && reboot
Haven't seen that one will try it. If not will keep the 'light bulb out of socket' :oops:

J.Jay
Otyugh

Post by Otyugh »

I'd really want to see a free alternative to Skype. Because this software is a rape of every standards ;O
NikosPG

Post by NikosPG »

So? any solution? i am on Olivia
Otyugh

Post by Otyugh »

As said just before :
"gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa", change "load-module module-udev-detect" by "load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0".
Then reboot.
Worked for me.
mircsicz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mircsicz »

THX a ton, fixed it for me too!!!

Greetz
Mircsicz
ozzyjr

Post by ozzyjr »

My config file default.pa was a bit different so i fixed by entering " tsched=0" into it, as below;

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
load-module module-udev-detect use_ucm=0 tsched=0
.else
### Use the static hardware detection module (for systems that lack udev support)
load-module module-detect
.endif

Return to “LMDE Archive”