Mint Update not working on Daryna

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint Update not working on Daryna

Post by newW2 »

Hi taniwha,
Can you tell us what you mean by: "does not work"?
Is the icon showing in the task area of the gnome panel?
Have you launched it from MintMenu -->Administration-->mintUpdate?
Did it ever work?
HAve you restarted X with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

I see there are others that have had a problem as well. http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 47&t=10860
From the User Manual:
"Note: If you get errors with MintUpdate (“Can’t refresh list of packages” for instance) you can check the logs for MintUpdate. Open a terminal and “cd /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/logs” then “ls –lrt” and look at the last file appearing in the list with the command “more filename”. Most of the time, it’s to do with a problem with your /etc/apt/sources.list or your network settings. Don’t hesitate to ask on the forums if there is a problem you can’t resolve."
You have done the last thing and asked for help. I don't know that I can help, but I did have what sounds like a similar problem or same when a couple of the repositories in sources list were not well. I commented them out and ran update and things worked. As I recall I later found that I had broken packages, ran fix broken packages in synaptic, edited menu.list (un-commented the repo's I had commented out) and update was happy again.
The interesting thing is that you get the lock error. Open terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure -a
Then try mintUpdate.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Are you using the KDE edition? I have had some issues with kubuntu after an update with APT being locked all the time.
Anyway, make sure you don't have any APT's running (synaptic/apt-get/aptitude/Adept etc) and try again. If this does not work, use the command newW suggested:

sudo dpkg --configure -a
In most cases that will fix the lock issue.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Yes another application is using APT - the log indicates that:
"another application is using APT"
And that is why you cannot get a lock. I'll raise up to Clem and Husse.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The command after

cd /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/logs
is ls -lrt
Now this does not matter I think as we've established that something is using apt
Open a terminal and give the command top
Study the output and see if something is running that is indeed connected to apt
Unfortunately the search is not working too well so I don't find other posts with the problem
"another application is using APT", but I know they exist
Try

sudo dpkg --configure -a
and/or

apt-get install -f
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ arv
Your problem may be found and solved here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... e_programs
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

If you have problems with lock files make sure to close all applications based on APT (synaptic, adept, mintUpdate, apt-get..etc). Eventually if the problem persists, simply delete the lock file in question (with sudo rm).

Clem.

Return to “Beginner Questions”