[SOLVED] Netflix Prompting for Silverlight Plug-in Install

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
codethulhu

[SOLVED] Netflix Prompting for Silverlight Plug-in Install

Post by codethulhu »

I'm running Mint 13 and I recently installed Netflix via the following commands:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop
Everything worked fine for a few days. Now when I start up Netflix and try to watch a video I get prompted to install a Silverlight plug-in. There's no option to ignore this if I want to watch the movie. The problem is if I install the plug-in via (what I assume is) Wine then it seems like it installs the plug-in but I still get prompted to install the Silverlight plug-in the next time I attempt to watch a video. I even tried removing Netflix with the following commands:

sudo apt-get --purge remove netflix-desktop
Then installing Netflix again like I did in the first place. This, somewhat obviously, did not help. How do I get Neflix to start working like it did?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Adelante

Re: Netflix Prompting for Silverlight Plug-in Install

Post by Adelante »

This is what I did. I don't know why it worked, but it did. I picked it up on Ask Ubuntu. Sorry I didn't keep the link.

In Terminal:

sudo rm -Rf ~/.wine-browser
Restart Netflix Desktop.

There is also an update today for the ehoover/compholio PPA in Synaptic. Do that after above.

Good luck.
codethulhu

Post by codethulhu »

You're right. It worked. Thanks :D
Cussler

Post by Cussler »

I was having a problem with Netflix after accidentally installing MS Silverlight. I found this post after a long day and typed:
"sudo rm -Rf ~/.wine-browser" in terminal without thinking and all of the files on my computer have disappeared. What have I done? Is there any way to recover from this? Did I really just delete every file from all of my folders?
Here is the operating system info:
Linux 3.2.0-23-generic (i686)
Linux Mint 13 Maya

Oh no. What have I done?
Adelante

Re: [SOLVED] Netflix Prompting for Silverlight Plug-in Insta

Post by Adelante »

I don't see how it could possibly be connected, but I'm no real expert. Did you make any other changes to your system? Sounds horrible. I hope someone here can give you good advice.

PS-FYI, I've used that code on Mint 13 Cinnamon, Lubuntu 13.04, and Ubuntu 13.04 to resolve the problem without any files disappearing.
Cussler

Post by Cussler »

Thank you for letting me know that you've used the command before. It's strange because this is literally all I did and when I exited out of the terminal all of my files on my desktop, documents, downloads, etc.. were/are gone but programs like Netflix desktop are still there. I've searched for files with no results and when I check the status of the hard drive it seems I'm only using 6GB of space.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

sudo rm -Rf ~/.wine-browser
Cussler wrote:"sudo rm -Rf ~/.wine-browser"
Not too aware of path points but I would think you would not want to replace a tilde with a hyphen. Did you copy/paste the command?

Pat
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

If you rm'd ~/_.whatever (with the underscore representing a space) you deleted your entire home directory. If you haven't done anything else, and you have a traditional magnetic hard disk, you might be able to recover most of your stuff using any one of the popular undelete utilities. It sounds like you did this if all of your files are gone. If you didn't have anything too important, just make a new user account and don't do it again.

If you didn't have that space, it just deleted the .wine-browser folder in your home directory. You should be able to recover from that.

The tilde (~) simply points to the current user's home directory.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

An unintended space makes a lot of sense, if that's what happened. Thanks for explaining.
Cussler

Post by Cussler »

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure the extra space was the problem. I've since recovered many files using foremost, but I found the process challenging.
Thanks again for responding to my post.

Return to “Beginner Questions”