Directory for installing Java Development Kit

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Directory for installing Java Development Kit

Postby Dozo on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:24 pm

I am trying to install the newest JDK 7 on linux mint debian and have no idea what directory to install the files in. I am not doing the install manually, I'm using the installer that comes with the JDK w/ Netbeans download. Once I start the installer it asks where I want to install the files and I'm getting conflicting answers on where I should put it (either the /usr/lib , usr/bin , usr/local , opt etc..). Even if I just randomly pick one of these directories, it won't let me, stating "The specified installation folder is read-only." So where exactly should I put the files? Thanks for the help!
Dozo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Directory for installing Java Development Kit

Postby Zalbor on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Are you running the installer as root?
I don't know a lot about LMDE but in "regular" mint you should add "sudo" in the command line before the installer. If sudo doesn't work in LMDE I think the proper way is to change to root by "su" and then run the installer.
Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mockturtl on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Dozo wrote:I am trying to install the newest JDK 7 on linux mint debian and have no idea what directory to install the files in. I am not doing the install manually, I'm using the installer that comes with the JDK w/ Netbeans download. Once I start the installer it asks where I want to install the files and I'm getting conflicting answers on where I should put it (either the /usr/lib , usr/bin , usr/local , opt etc..). Even if I just randomly pick one of these directories, it won't let me, stating "The specified installation folder is read-only." So where exactly should I put the files? Thanks for the help!
Netbeans has a debian package. You can install it from the Software Manager, or

Code: Select all
$ apt install netbeans

You'll end up with lots of symlinks: executables in /usr/bin/java, jars in /usr/share/java.

In general, /usr is system-managed; changes you make can be overwritten during an upgrade.

Note the java implementation in the Debain repos (OpenJDK) is not the official (Oracle, formerly Sun) JDK. Instructions for getting / upgrading it here.
mockturtl
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Dozo on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:26 pm

OK as per usual this turned out to be something really simple. Zalbor you hit it, I restarted the installer as root, and voila, the default directory was usr/local. With linux it seems every time I get frustrated with something not working it always ends up being something simple! Now I just gotta quit going back to windows every time I hit an issue and stick with it! Thanks all for the help :)
Dozo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby millpond on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:24 pm

I have my JDK7 installed to /usr/local/jdk7 - it was installed from the Oracle site package.

However, the system doesnt seem to see it, and the system Java is still 1.6.0.24
Keep in mind that I am not a java programmer, and may have overlooked MANY subtleties!!!

Any idea on how to *integrate* it into Debian now that Oracle is not apparently actively supporting Debian updates. (At least from what I have seen).
millpond
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications