Some help please. model (C855D-S5105 toshiba satalite)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
drock11187

Some help please. model (C855D-S5105 toshiba satalite)

Post by drock11187 »

Hello, I've been a linux mint user for several years and know some basics, and have installed the OS on several other machines. But I've been stumped by this problem, I am trying to dual boot; Windos 8 and Linux Mint 14 onto a new laptop it's; Toshiba C855D-S5105.
But I can't even seem to access BIOS none of the usual methods worked; f1-12, esc, and delete don't seem to work on this model, maybe there is something I'm doing wrong or there is a sequence I don't knoe. I am desperatly hoping someone out there will have the answer, since Linux Mint has been such a great os for my other computers, and I would like to have it on this machine too. If anyone out there has any advice please offer it. I would be so greatful, since I haven't found a solutions so far.
thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
old_toolmaker

Re: Some help please. model (C855D-S5105 toshiba satalite)

Post by old_toolmaker »

OK, I just registered after seeing your post. I'm in a some what similar fix. i've been using Mint for some time on other platforms with better success than any other distro. I've been using Linux for about 6 years total. I just got a Toshiba C855D-S5320. I'll tell you my problems in a moment. First, when you power up immediately and repeatedly push F2 until the system starts beeping or goes to the bios. You need to go to the advanced settings and toggle the boot mode from UEFI to the legacy mode and might need to turn off secure boot in the security section. For more on UEFI look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

My problem is that after installing Mint14 Mate 64 bit, everything works except printing. 2 of the 3 printers I work with on other platforms, HP p2035 & p1006, with the same distro are installed on the Toshiba but printing does not happen. The 3rd is a HP C4240 all-in-one. Mint on the Toshiba doesn't even see it. As far as dual booting, I have no use for Windows so I haven't done that. I've been trying to beat this printing problem but no luck so far. When you boot from a usb drive, try installing your printer and see if you can print before you actually install Mint. I hope someone who knows more will give a hand :-) As a final note, Mint 13 locks up the Toshiba very quickly after booting.
drock11187

Post by drock11187 »

Thank you I did manage to get into BIOS and make the alteration; boot sequence, unsecure Boot, and enabled legacy mode. But it still didn't get the liveUSB drive to recognize. So thank you for that, it's gotten me furthrt. But the LiveUSB isn't being recognized and it keeps booting into windows 8, so something is not right. But thank you I was getting frustrated with something so basic. At leats it's starting to get solved, Thank you again. (feels like I'm relearning computer basics again)
I wish I could offer some advice for the printer, but I did find a plug-in for HP printing that might be helpful. But I'd imagine you already found this; http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
drock11187

Post by drock11187 »

Hello again, after some more research, I'm still having the same issues but I have more information for you. The bootable USB I made is " Hidden HPFS/NTFS (Bootable) “ I don't know if this is what is causing the issue, but I've also noticed that Linux Minot isn't recognizing the USB when I plug it in and I have to find it in the “Disks- manage drives and media” option in the preferences section to view it. I don't know if something went wrong when I created the USB, but I still don't know what could be happening. And anyone who could offer some more insight would be appreciated. Since this is starting to drive me crazy.
old_toolmaker

Post by old_toolmaker »

Back to square 1: Use the usb image writer in accessories to write the iso for 64 bit mint to your finger drive. Use f12 to access boot menu. Again, I wish somebody who knows something would pitch in here. Anybody out there? Hello? Why are Toshiba C855D's so difficult?
drock11187

Post by drock11187 »

old_toolmaker wrote:Back to square 1: Use the usb image writer in accessories to write the iso for 64 bit mint to your finger drive. Use f12 to access boot menu. Again, I wish somebody who knows something would pitch in here. Anybody out there? Hello? Why are Toshiba C855D's so difficult?
I've been trying to find an answer to this, but haven't found one yet. I suppose no one else out there has any answers either. But someone who knows alot more about computers than I do, suggested that there could be some sort of boot sequence security that is preventing other OS from running on these machines. I don't know if it's true ot not, since I have no idea how that could be checked. But thanks old_toolmaker I apperciate your advice.

Return to “Installation & Boot”