[SOLVED] How to change file assoc. in Mint14>Cinnamon>Nemo

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The.Linux.Experiment

[SOLVED] How to change file assoc. in Mint14>Cinnamon>Nemo

Post by The.Linux.Experiment »

Hi,

I noticed that my fresh install comes with several programs that do the same task and some default whne i rather them not when I open a file. For example rather than having the app I want open let's say I'm in my file manager and I'm looking at video files. If I run the file it starts with totem on my machine. How do I change that file types default association to say VLC?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
truthlesshero
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to change file associations

Post by truthlesshero »

i'm somewhat new to linux mint too..but other than uninstalling the programs i didn't want, this is what i remember..which is similar to windows

right click on the file that you want to open, choose open with...then you have the option to always use that program for that type of file...

i'm not at my computer right now, but let me know if that helps or makes sense..i'll check when i get home
HughT

Post by HughT »

Hi The.Linux.Experiment, It's easily done. Just right click and select 'Properties' and select the tab called 'Open With' and make your selection from there. regards
The.Linux.Experiment

Hi guys thanks for the replies. That does change the association and open it in the program I would prefer but it doesn't seem to stick. The next time I go to use that file or a similar file of the same type its not associated with the new program. I have to believe there is a way to permanently set the default app by type rather than driving in the right click menu each time or uninstalling a secondary program that I may want to keep as backup for alternate files etc.

any other suggestions?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Unless you have some objections to using the file manager from the XFCE desktop on religious grounds you might try Thunar if you want a gui way to do this:

** Install Thunar:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install thunar
** It will show up in the Menu somewhere but for the time being just launch it from the terminal:

Code: Select all

thunar
** Go to the file extension > Right Click > Open with > Open with other application >

You can either select one from the list or use the custom command. Don't forget to mark the "Use as default for this kind of file" box.

A file association created through Thunar will apply everywhere else.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
slingshot

Post by slingshot »

Hi,

Maybe I misunderstand this but:

system tools --> system settings --> Details --> Default applications

You can choose the applications there.
The.Linux.Experiment

altair4 wrote:Unless you have some objections to using the file manager from the XFCE desktop on religious grounds you might try Thunar if you want a gui way to do this:

<Snip>
don't forget to mark the "Use as default for this kind of file" box.

A file association created through Thunar will apply everywhere else.
I don't have a strong objection to Thunar and that particular feature is preferable in my book over my current manager (nemo via cinnamon 14 default install) I do like alot of its other aspects of Thunar. However with that said your post got me looking further...

I figured out how to in Nemo to do this. Right click the file, don't go to open with, instead go to properties -> third tab "open with" select program and hit button at bottom right to set default program. YAY! :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”