High CPU usage of Xorg

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pelsjager

High CPU usage of Xorg

Post by Pelsjager »

Hi,
I'm currently running LM 14 Nadia on a laptop, with a Intel C2D P8700 and a Nvidia GT240M. When idle, the cpu-usage varies between 20-50% constantly, for both cores. Looking at the processes in the System Monitor, it seems that Xorg (25-35%) and Cinnamon (~10%) are the culprits. I assume that these loads are unusually high, for a system that is essentially idle.
I googled the problem, but the suggested fixed do not seem to work for me. I'm using the nvidia-current drivers, and they seem to work, and GPU rendering is used instead of software rendering. The poblem seems like the one described here: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2234, but MDM 1.08 is installed, and the problem persists.
Is there anyone who has an ideahow I can solve this? Or am I just expecting too much from my system?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: High CPU usage of Xorg

Post by DrHu »

First, I can say does it matter: if that load doesn't affect the application operation(s) of your system

It could be a bug/issue with a particular driver or some other desktop application, that is matter of research.
--probably the issue if there is any is more likely to be the driver for that device: as sometimes Linux drivers (even vendor(s) for newer devices) are a bit later to the party and can represent a kludge or less than optimal (aka match windows OS speed) setting.
Last edited by DrHu on Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pelsjager

Post by Pelsjager »

Thanks for the comment, switching from the nvidia drivers to the nouveau drivers seemed to do the trick, Xorg and cinnamon load are now back to ~2% each, and the whole system is running way more fluently again.
limaunion

Post by limaunion »

hi everyone, I'm having exactly the same problem, using cinnamon and experiencing an Xorg constant cpu usage around 20% with the NVIDIA driver in two different computers (desktop and notebook).

Any idea why this could be happening? I would prefer to keep using the NVIDIA drivers instead of being forced to switch to nouveau.

TIA

Return to “Beginner Questions”