boot and reinstall problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobchatelle

boot and reinstall problems

Post by bobchatelle »

I've long been curious about Linux and I downloaded and installed Linux Mint a couple of weeks ago. Everything seemed to work fine.

This morning, however, Linux Mint would not boot. I think the message was something like "Missing MBR Record."

So I booted Window 7 and uninstalled Linux Mint.

I decide to give it another try and attempted to reinstall from the boot disk. I entered the same username/password that I had originally used. I got the error message "passwords don't match."

I tried a different password, different username, etc. But I always got the same error message.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Re: boot and reinstall problems

Post by turboscrew »

So where did you install Mint and how did you install the boot loader?
Did you fix windows startup or anything?

MBR is master boot record. If it was missing I guess Windows wouldn't have booted - unless EFI boot is used in which case you don't install Grub but rEFInd.

As if the linux boot loader was trying to boot from a wrong disk.
bobchatelle

Post by bobchatelle »

I downloaded Linux Mint and created a DVD. I installed Linux Mint from that DVD. I made no changes to Windows startup. It worked fine for a couple of weeks.

This morning, Linux Mint wouldn't boot. Windows boots just fine.

I have no idea at all what EFI boot, Grub, and rEFind are.

I used the Windows control panel to uninstall. But I can't reinstall from my DVD.

It's not critical. i was just trying to learn what Linux was about. Windows still works fine on my computer.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

bobchatelle wrote:I downloaded Linux Mint and created a DVD. I installed Linux Mint from that DVD. I made no changes to Windows startup. It worked fine for a couple of weeks.

I used the Windows control panel to uninstall. But I can't reinstall from my DVD.
From description you installed mintforwin which is not the same as installed upon it's own partition. Also mintforwin,I'm told doesn't work with EFI thus you must not have efi or it's disabled.
I decide to give it another try and attempted to reinstall from the boot disk. I entered the same username/password that I had originally used. I got the error message "passwords don't match."

I tried a different password, different username, etc. But I always got the same error message
that means you mistyped the password. Upon creating an username and password to install you have type the password twice.

http://www.nerdinuse.com/wp-content/upl ... login1.png
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
bobchatelle

Post by bobchatelle »

I apologize for my bad eyesight. I didn't notice the second password box. I'm reinstalling now.

-Bob

Return to “Beginner Questions”