*solved* Hosed file system (in separate /home?)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: Hosed file system (in separate /home?)

Post by Fred »

Tony G,

You have discovered UUID hell! lol But fear not it isn't fatal. :-)

Anytime you repartition or reformat a partition you change the UUID number. Now the Mint /etc/fstab file has the wrong UUIDs in it.

First let me ask, do you have a working install on the computer Mint is on? And if you do tell me what drive and partition the Mint / (root) is on.

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Hosed file system (in separate /home?)

Post by Fred »

Tony G,

I am assuming your working distro is PCLOS. Boot it, type "kdesu kate" in the run dialog, and navigate to the hda2 partition, it may be called sda2. This should be the Mint / (root). Open the file called /etc/fstab. In that file you will see your auto mounting lines. they should look something like this:

# /dev/sda3
UUID=ef909b66-06ba-4509-93fd-3e5c4a875a30 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda6
UUID=179531d8-4df6-494c-91f2-e0295be69b04 /home/denise/Backup ext3 defaults 0 2

Some or all the UUID number are incorrect. In a terminal type:

sudo vol_id -u /dev/sdxx

Substituting the appropriate drive and partition designator for sdxx. Do this for each partition listed and change the UUID in the fstab to the correct ones you just calculated.

Save and exit. Reboot and Mint should come up fine again, unless one of us made a mistake.:-)

Fred

Return to “Installation & Boot”