Nixie Pixel would marry Mint it seems ;-)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anandrkris

Nixie Pixel would marry Mint it seems ;-)

Post by anandrkris »

http://youtu.be/KOF05L1tZaE?t=1m54s Glad to know her commitment for Mint :wink: :wink:
P.S. If you dont know who she is, Nixie Pixel is better known for OS Alt shows and youtube tutorials on Linux and Gaming.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nostromo

Re: Nixie Pixel would marry Mint it seems ;-)

Post by nostromo »

Nixie states: Mark Shuttleworth = Steve Jobs (@4:20 on vid),interesting,never thought Canonical Ltd.would head that direction.
JWJones

Post by JWJones »

I would marry Slackware. And Nixie. :mrgreen:
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

nostromo wrote:Nixie states: Mark Shuttleworth = Steve Jobs (@4:20 on vid),interesting,never thought Canonical Ltd.would head that direction.
Yeah...but then she has long commercial spots after her main video...i absolutely love nixie....but that is a bit hypocritical, to say the least...
Nothing wrong with ubuntu becoming more commercial to a certain degree...ubuntu has done so much for the linux community and Mark Shuttleworth has spent so much money on the project, which helps propel linux, in general, ahead in the mainstream...It's also got the best "shot" (really, the only shot) of making linux more well known to the general populous...and penetrating the "microsoft monopoly"...

What he is doing is not like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs who run (ran) totally commercial and "closed" operations....ubuntu will still remain an open source project despite the commercial ventures it is going into and will be going into....and it will always be free for general usage...
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

You hope.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Oh, don't be so darn cynical...Mark Shuttleworth himself has openly stated as such...The Ubuntu Manifesto: "Ubuntu is and will always be free"
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

craig10x wrote:Oh, don't be so darn cynical...Mark Shuttleworth himself has openly stated as such...The Ubuntu Manifesto: "Ubuntu is and will always be free"

Why Not :?: Mr Shuttleworth Has made many such Statements...Remember His Company Is AFTER ALL a FOR PROFIT CORP...And you Can't Make money by giving Stuff For Free... :(
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

The problem is that he has never made a profit on it...so why fault him for trying?
Sure, you can say he is a billionaire and can afford it...but he isn't obligated to put his money into the ubuntu project....
He could instead, make charitable contributions to the ASPCA or some other foundation...

Also, by pursuing these more commercial ventures, like tvs, phones, tablets, etc...it means more WIDESPREAD adoption of linux to the many non-linux users out there...
Isn't that a good thing? I certainly think so...

We are even starting to see partnerships with hardware makers like Alienware, and other computer manfacturers of ubuntu installed computers...this also helps gain further general acceptance...

As nice as mint, zorin, and lots of other ubuntu derivative (and non-ubuntu derivative) linux distros are...they simply can't accomplish what he has the money, might and resources to do...

Fortunately, his commitment to the open source concept is a very strong part of his philosophy, and that will insure the "ubuntu is and will always be free" to remain in the future i am sure...he simply wants ubuntu to be both a free and a commercial success as well...sounds like a nice BALANCED concept to me....one you would never get with Microsoft or Apple...
http://www.ubuntu.com/about
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Great job on hijacking the topic :| Let's stay on topic please.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I am of two minds about Canonical.
On the one side, Canonical has raised Linux into the public eye more than all the other distros combined and has contributed a great deal of valuable code to the community. Mint would not be based on Ubuntu if Canonical weren't doing something right.
On the other side, Canonical's development of Ubuntu has definitely become more top down and much less community based. After putting up with using OSX and contending with Steve Jobs' dictatorial ways for many years, even a hint of that sort of behavior puts me right off.
So, I don't want Canonical to fail but I will be using Mint which distills out the good from Ubuntu and leaves the commercial stuff by the wayside.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
graeme

Post by graeme »

you Can't Make money by giving Stuff For Free
You can. LOTS of open source projects and companies are profitable. Red Hat is very profitable and the distro is entirely open source. Lots of smaller projects produce substantial income for the developers too: as a platform for selling consultancy or services, for example.

Also, Cannonical cannot simply make Ubuntu closed source: only new versions of the bits that they developed entirely internally like Unity and which are not dependent on libraries that are not GPL licensed (LGPL or BSD or similar).
jsplicer

Post by jsplicer »

All of the video's I see of supposed tutorials from Nixie are made with her using plain Ubuntu....not Mint of any sort..Unless she uses Mint on the side I don't know or has started using Mint I don't know but every vid I have seen was of her using Ubuntu versions...If you want my 2 cents I think Unity is ugly and cumbersome & is there for the one intention of Amazon phoning to the mothership...
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

jsplicer wrote:All of the video's I see of supposed tutorials from Nixie are made with her using plain Ubuntu....not Mint of any sort..Unless she uses Mint on the side I don't know or has started using Mint I don't know but every vid I have seen was of her using Ubuntu versions...If you want my 2 cents I think Unity is ugly and cumbersome & is there for the one intention of Amazon phoning to the mothership...

With Mint, its a clandestine relationship. :wink: :wink:
Not used Ubuntu, so no comments on that.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Unity is neither ugly nor cumbersome...the way you love mint and cinnamon is the way i love ubuntu and unity...different strokes for different folks... :wink:

Unity is very intuitive, easy to use and extremely ATTRACTIVE...just the opposite of windows 8 metro...and the amazon ad lens can be removed in 1 minute (or turned off in privacy settings)...not that it's a big deal, it's just a little way for ubuntu to get some revenue....much like mint's website and forums have targeted ads and the arrangement with duckduckgo to be the default search on firefox on mint...

I love the mint forums, but i get a bit tired with certain people here who feel compelled to constantly knock the very underpinnings of the distro they do love so much (linux mint)... :roll:

And for the record, i started with ubuntu when i got involved with linux orginally, later switched to mint for quite some time, but after unity and various refinements were made in ubuntu starting with 11.10 version and beyond, i switched back to ubuntu...and unity (and ubuntu) keeps improving and getting better all the time....13.04 is a very solid release :)
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

craig10x wrote:Unity is neither ugly nor cumbersome...the way you love mint and cinnamon is the way i love ubuntu and unity...different strokes for different folks... :wink:

Unity is very intuitive, easy to use and extremely ATTRACTIVE...just the opposite of windows 8 metro...and the amazon ad lens can be removed in 1 minute (or turned off in privacy settings)...not that it's a big deal, it's just a little way for ubuntu to get some revenue....much like mint's website and forums have targeted ads and the arrangement with duckduckgo to be the default search on firefox on mint...

I love the mint forums, but i get a bit tired with certain people here who feel compelled to constantly knock the very underpinnings of the distro they do love so much (linux mint)... :roll:

And for the record, i started with ubuntu when i got involved with linux orginally, later switched to mint for quite some time, but after unity and various refinements were made in ubuntu starting with 11.10 version and beyond, i switched back to ubuntu...and unity (and ubuntu) keeps improving and getting better all the time....13.04 is a very solid release :)
Surprised to know that even Ubuntu users hang out here and help Mint users. :) I use Ubuntu forums a lot to find solutions for issues and learn stuff though havent posted much. Lets not be cynical about other distros. After all, we're one Linux family. (even after Mir)
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Yes we do :wink:
And as i mentioned, i used mint for quite a long time but i like unity (and certain other aspects) so that swung me back there :)

I so agree...we are one linux family...some seem to forget that, unfortunately...
Also, i run into a lot of mint users over at the ubuntu forums as well...so you are not the only one :lol:
jsplicer

Post by jsplicer »

It's just my opinion on Unity. Did not mean to offend anyone who uses it. I don't like it. I never said I have anything against Ubuntu, just Unity. If that is what floats your boat by all means enjoy. Live and let live I always say. :D Me I love my Mint Cinnamon. If your tired of hearing about it, I must not be the first person to mention thier dislike for Unity. It's no big deal it's just a matter of taste. I say we be thankful for having the choice. :)

MS8 I don't even consider an OS for a computer, more like a Giant Phone OS, I wouldn't even use that for a comparison. I don't even like their phones.

Peace out!

John
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

No Problem...it's all good :wink:
Actually, the set up in standard ubuntu is kind of very "mac-like" so if you like the mac desktop, you are much more likely to like the unity desktop with it's unity dock, global menu and dash search which is similiar to the one in mac's as well...of course, unity's dock is on the left where as the mac is (by default) on the bottom, though it can be moved to the left as well...

After i dumped windows and before discovering linux, i had a mac for about a year or so and loved it...only thing i didn't love about it was being "locked in" to the high priced hardware...

I recently spent some time with windows metro 8 interface, and couldn't get use to it as much as i tried...the windows 7 desktop (that came with my new laptop) i did like, however...I do laugh when people compare unity to metro...as it is really no comparison at all...unity is simple and easy to use and works well for mouse or touch...metro, i found, does not work well for mouse but i hear it is pretty good for touch...

Nixie very much likes mint but she is also quite a big fan of ubuntu as well...
jsplicer

Post by jsplicer »

craig10x ~ I'm an old Mac guy myself, I go back to 7.5. When the red fruit changedtheir CPU from motorola to intel I started building my own desktops, going through numerous trials and tribulations getting Mac OS X to install. Just when we thought we had it down pat where we could even go through software update without breaking anything to the OS, they turned around and refused to sell Mountain Lion to me, they traced something to my motherboard and refused to sell me the download, but stopped with security updates to Snow Leo. And I refused to pay their extortion prices for hardware, when I can put in better hardware for much less money. I also refuse to use a seeded version of any OS. Linux is a different story because it is free, and I can trust Canonical. but I always paid for my OS from the red fruit, I never would trust a seeded OS from Joe Shmo. #justme.. :)

The other poster is also correct we are all one family! Long Live Linux because it ROCKS in any flavor! :wink:

John

PS ~ I'm going to give Unity another try on another hard drive, I didn't even know they had a dock...I'm using Cairo right now and the graphics are vivid and beautiful. You need a good enough GPU to apreciate Cairo though.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

@jsplicer: ah...another former mac user :wink:
I like Cairo Dock too and have used it in ubuntu (in ubuntu it creates an actual "session" you can switch to on the log in screen where you just get the top global menu of unity but without unity and just cairo dock)...but after awhile i said...hey...just use unity already (LOL)...and now i am very fond of it...

You can also shrink the size of the unity icons, enable work spaces and adjust the "reveal" sensitivity when it is on autohide...
It's not "animated" like cairo or mac's dock but it's very nice to work with and keeps improving with each new version of ubuntu...

Yes, actually ubuntu is quite "mac like" now on it's main edition....the unity bar is a dock which is on the left side and auto-hides if you desire of course...
and the top panel is a global menu just like mac...the dash search is kind of like the one in the mac too...i'd suggest you make an iso of 13.04 (which is rock solid, by the way) and run it live and play with it a bit... :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”