i386 or amd64?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
animaguy

i386 or amd64?

Post by animaguy »

I can only assume that a Linux version i386 is best with an Intel processor and an amd64 is best with and AMD processor but I don't know for sure.

In choosing between LM distros what differences should be considered regarding i386 editions versus amd64 versions?

Sent from my HTC Status using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: i386 or amd64?

Post by dagon »

Good guess but wrong. Sorry. The company AMD developed the factory standard, 64-bit, pc-processor.
i386 = 32 bit
amd64 = 64 bit

Any modern pc today use amd64 instruction set.
If you have a PC with 4gig ram and above, amd64 is the thing.
Edit: More here

Sent from the 4th dimension, message carried forward by invisible (yet feisty) little squirrels.
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

Thanks.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Todays 64-bit CPU architecture is the one designed by AMD. Intel's 64-bit never made it into consumer hardware because Microsoft chose to support AMD 64. Don't have time now to describe what happened as I have to empty the living room for maintenance to the floor.
Last edited by AlbertP on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

Thanks for the info. Because the computer that I have for experimenting with Linux is 32 bit, I am going to have to work with i386 first.

I do have a 4gb ram laptop with Win7 64-bit but I need it for now at least until I can get the LM 1gb ram wifi ready.

mbman88

Post by mbman88 »

I'm going to need more info on this subject because this google search brings me to a Yahoo answers thing that says with strict adamancy that yes, my Core 2 Duo T6400 IS a 64 bit processor. This is Intel brand for those that don't know. (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 529AAije5i)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

mbman88 wrote:I'm going to need more info on this subject because this google search brings me to a Yahoo answers thing that says with strict adamancy that yes, my Core 2 Duo T6400 IS a 64 bit processor. This is Intel brand for those that don't know. (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 529AAije5i)
http://ark.intel.com/products/40479/Int ... 00-MHz-FSB
What information do you need?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Core 2 Duo supports 64-bit yes, but in those days many manufacturers of Windows computers still preferred installing 32-bit OS. That's why many people never noticed they have a 64-bit capable computer. I have a Core 2 Duo T5450 in my laptop and when I first installed Linux I also didn't know that I could use 64.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

:shock: PC 64bit CPUs exist since 10 years and multi-core 64bit since about 8 years. Seems like many users were (and still are) not well aware of technological evolution...
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

For many users it's a technical detail that they don't know about, indeed, and they just take an OS which works on their computer. That's not such a problem, since the performance difference is not that exciting and Mint 14 32-bit has PAE on by default.

Return to “Beginner Questions”