dsl connection not working

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
salman

dsl connection not working

Post by salman »

hi.....i have install linux mint 14 in my pc 3 weeks ago..then in the network connection setting i gave username and password that was provided by my internet service man....and from then my internet was working with no problem......and in the last week i learned about sudo pppoeconf and i gave same username and password there also..then my internet was working by giving sudo pon dsl-provider.....and day after tommorow my internet was not workin properly after giving sudo pon dsl-provider.it works max to max for 2min...after that it doesnt... it stop working..sometime its work for 1 hour ...sometime it dosent work also...to start i have to run once again sudo pppoeconf and provide that details once again sudo pon dsl-provider....its not working properly...plzzz give me the good solution...my exms are going on...and im disturbed....plz plz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: dsl connection not working

Post by karlchen »

Hello, salman.

At the point where your DSL connection worked fine after you had configured it using Network Manager you sould have simply stopped and enjoyed the working DSL connection.
By using pppoeconf you used a different (old) way of achieving the same goal.
The problem is that it is an either or situation: either you use pppoeconf only, or you use Network Manager only, never both.
So I would suggest to remove the manual configuration done by pppoeconf and return to Network Manager.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
salman

Post by salman »

thank you Karl.....plzz tell me how to remove the manually pppoeconf setting...
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, salman.

Acutally, it is been quite a time since I last used pppoeconf. I remember that Network Manager checks a number of network configuration files in order to determine whether they have been changed by another programme. If they have then Network Manager assumes it should not touch the affected networking device.
I will have to locate and launch an ancient Remastersys backup of Ubuntu 10.04 where I last used pppoeconf in order to find out which files tell Network Manager not to manage a network device.
I'll report back ...

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
salman

Post by salman »

ok i'ii wait ....bt plzz do as early as possible...i dont know much abt linux...im working on it..thnxx Karl...!!!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, salman.

The key file is /etc/network/interfaces. - Read "man interfaces" to get the details about this file.
NetworkManager will not manage any networking interface which is listed in this file, because it assumes that a different programme will manage it.
pppoeconf will add your networking interface to the file /etc/network/interfaces (and a few other files), thus effectively preventing NetworkManager from managing the interface.
So the approach of allowing NetworkManager to manage your network card successfully again is this:
  • Open a terminal window.
  • Code: Select all

sudo poff dsl-provider

cd /etc/network
    sudo cp interfaces interfaces.pppoeconf
    sudo gedit interfaces
    and make sure the file holds these lines only:

Code: Select all

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

sudo service network-manager restart
  • Launch Network Manager and see whether it can manage your internet connection successfully again.
HTH,
Karl
Lifeline
salman

Post by salman »

Thank you karl......U r the master ...thanks a lot..... :)
salman

Post by salman »

Karl the internet connectiuon was not working after ur soln. Let it be...But Karl I have created some more problem....i have install Windows7 in my pc. i was having two OS(PearLinux & LinuxMint). I delete the partition of LinuxMint and choose for Pear Linux....I deleted the Partition of linuxMint and in that i have installed Windows7 and further when i restarted my pc , i saw that there was no option to choose the OS either Window7 or Pear.It directly started with the Windows....Plzz tell me what to do..I want to use both OS..Plzzz..i also have shared this connection in other panel of this forum.........

Return to “Networking”