Mint WiFi on MacBook Pro Retina - No Ethernet Port

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msheaver

Mint WiFi on MacBook Pro Retina - No Ethernet Port

Post by msheaver »

Greetings, Folks!

I am completely new to the Linux world, but have decades of experience with other Unix flavors, including Mac OS, AT&T Unix (BSD) and SCO Unix. After doing some online research, I chose Mint with the Cinnamon desktop, and absolutely love it so far. I used rEFInd to dual-boot my MacBook, and Mint 14 installed quickly without a hitch.

My first challenge is getting WiFi to work; I am using a mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina (MacBookPro10.1) that does not have a built-in Ethernet port. All of the instructions I have found thus far assume that you have wired networking, which does not take into account the newer MacBooks that are shipped without Ethernet ports.

Does anyone have any solutions that will allow me to download the necessary applications and repositories, and install them from a USB drive? It would be most appreciated!

Sincerely,
Michael
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sOCIODEMENTIA

Re: Mint WiFi on MacBook Pro Retina - No Ethernet Port

Post by sOCIODEMENTIA »

I'm no expert. In fact, I have just installed Linux myself, on my Macbook Pro 13" purchased mid 2012. I'm not certain why the more expensive Macbooks don't have the Ethernet ports, but my 13" bottom of the line does.

Anyway, You might want to try purchasing a USB Ethernet adapter. You could get one cheat off Amazon, or pay a premium at Best Buy/Radio Shack/Walmart. A quick google search will show you which brands are compatible with Linux.

Hopefully this might help in the event that no one can help you with directions on how to acquire, and install, those files.

Best,
Brian
msheaver

Post by msheaver »

Yes, that was my plan B, and I was hoping to avoid having to buy the USB Ethernet adapter; however, it looks like I will need to get it anyway.

I would guess that Apple didn't include the Ethernet port on the high-end MacBooks for the same reasons they eliminated the DVD drive: 1) to make them as thin and light as possible, and 2) most people (myself included) normally do not need or use ethernet due to the ubiquity and speed of WiFi.

Many thanks!
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Having never owned one, I don't know which WiFi adapter is installed in those systems. Could you give us the output of:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sn
If it's a broadcom (I think it is) or Ralink, you'll most likely have to install drivers. If the Wifi adapter has Windows drivers, you can try using NDISwrapper to install them.
Assuming you still have OSX installed, and you can access your OSX partition from Mint, you can download all the files you need with OSX and then use them in Mint.
msheaver

Post by msheaver »

i have good news, everyone! I bought a USB ethernet adapter, installed a couple of packages. blacklisted ndiswrapper, rebooted and voila! the WiFi was working like a charm. I very easily joined my home network, and everything seems to be working great. Thanks to everyone for your help and support!

Return to “Beginner Questions”