Recovery mode??

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Recovery mode??

Postby tlcmd on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:51 pm

I've been running Linux Mint for about 3 years as a dual boot on my older computer (with Windows XP) and am in the proces of switching to LMDE exclusively. Changed to LMDE over a year ago.

My Question: What is the "Recovery Mode" on the boot screen and when and how, when ,and if should I use it?

I've never really had any serious problems with LMDE and have been running it for well over a year. Only real problems are trying to get two of my Windows XP programs to run, but LMDE otherwise has never given me any trouble.

Thanks,
tlcmd (aka Dick)
tlcmd
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Recovery mode??

Postby xenopeek on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Recovery mode has several tools to help with common problems. Try it to see a list, the top item in the list is "resume" which will continue regular boot. The most used item is the root shell which you can use if for whatever reason you can't login to your graphical desktop.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Recovery mode??

Postby tlcmd on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:52 pm

thanks. I guess I've' just been lucky. My Windows XP has had so many problems despite antivirus, malware, ccleaner, regular defrag and disk check, stc, that I've been taking LMDE for granted.
tlcmd (aka Dick)
tlcmd
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions