How to Force Quit?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The.Linux.Experiment

How to Force Quit?

Post by The.Linux.Experiment »

Simple question, how do you force quit a non responding application that is causing your system to hang?

Firefox keeps crashing in mint 14 on me, I installed a little app that lets me kill a program but I can't get to the button to kill the stubborn one. I saw somewhere where someone used alt-f2 and typed "killall (programname here)" to terminate a app but that doesn't work for me either. I assume there's some hot key combination equivalent like windows Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up task manager, select progie and end task...

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: How to Force Quit?

Post by passerby »

What output do you get when running "killall firefox"? Does it execute and just not do anything to the stubborn one?
You can also do so via your task manager. MATE's is mate-system-monitor, I think Cinnamon's is gnome-system-monitor. Just right click on the process and kill it.
The.Linux.Experiment

Well I think it was just a total lock up each time. After a fresh reboot I can execute the alt-f2 killall firefox and it behaves correctly. previously nothing happened when i hit alt-f2, not even a dialog box to even type in the command. Nor could I access the menu pulldowns etc. Is there anyway to look at logs to see about troubleshooting the issue? it keeps happening and not always the same pages etc...
passerby

Post by passerby »

If firefox is causing the lockups, try running firefox from the terminal. When it becomes problematic, you'll hopefully get some useful warnings/errors show up.
There are general logs for such events (eg. /var/log), but I wouldn't know where to begin therein.
The.Linux.Experiment

Cool thanks, every little new tid bit of information is a learning experience for me. The fun is in putting the pieces of the puzzle together :P

Return to “Beginner Questions”