LinuxMint in VMware -> Overheating

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ibanayes

LinuxMint in VMware -> Overheating

Post by ibanayes »

Hi,

First of all, I have to say that I am new to Linux . I am using Linux Mint + Cinnamom and I love it, but I have an important problem.

My laptop has Windows 7 installed, so I run Linux Mint in a VMware virtual machine. But when I am in LinuxMint, the laptop gets very overheated, and I am afraid of damaging the hardware. So, some questions come here:
How can I know the temperature of the HW components? Any application for this?
And of course, how could I avoid this overheating?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hammer459
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LinuxMint in VMware -> Overheating

Post by Hammer459 »

Why don't you dual boot?
sujitnag

Post by sujitnag »

use mint4win to install linux mint as dual mode os with win7.
it is very easy as installing other s/w on win os.
Note: read mint4win installation process.
ibanayes

Post by ibanayes »

Dual boot is not an option, because the laptop belongs to the company I work for and I am not allowed to do that.

By the way, I noticed that the problem comes from Cinnamom. The Cinnamom process takes 100% of the resources of the CPU, and that´s the problem. If I run Mint with GNOME there is no overheating.

I do not like GNOME very much, I would like to run Cinnamom. Any clue of how to solve this issue?

Return to “Beginner Questions”