rtl8723ae interferes with sound

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arsivci
Level 1
Level 1

rtl8723ae interferes with sound

Post by arsivci »

Can any one of those unfortunate souls with a rtl8723ae wireless nic confirm if the bloody realtek magnificent design interferes with sound playback? I would like to drop a message to linux wireless list if it is not something that happens to only me; maybe the info might help maintainers... and also a few mint users who have realtek nics.

Distro: LMDE, 64-bit cinnamon (it is not relevant, though)
NIC: RTL8723ae
Driver: rtl8723e, version 0012.0207.2013 (presumed to be the latest)
Sound-card: Intel 7 Series/C210
Driver: snd_hda_intel

As this wonderful piece of crap tries to connect and reconnect every now and then, whatever you're playing repeats itself for one split second. Has anyone else noticed a similar behaviour?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LMDE 64 Cinnamon | Once, there were windows...
potgieta

Re: rtl8723ae interferes with sound

Post by potgieta »

Hi

Searched several forums but this one worked for me as I had errors with the make part in other forums. Here a part needs to be commented out on base.c, I just deleted part and it worked for me. http://mlkushan.blogspot.com/2012/10/ub ... s-not.html
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I don't think sound and wifi are related in any way even if both are from Realtek. Are you sure it's not just stuttering a bit because of high CPU load?

Also, how did you install the rtl8723ae driver? From Realtek's website?
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
giogrig

Post by giogrig »

i have the sama wifi we're you find the drivers ? it's working good ?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

What you could try is uninstalling the driver from Realtek's website ( @ giogrig: you don't need to uninstall anything of course), then installing compat-drivers. That's a package with drivers from newer Linux kernel versions which usually contain many improvements over Realtek's own ones.

Please download the package from here: https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel ... 3-2.tar.xz
After extracting the XZ file, go to the folder where you extracted it, right-click > Open in Terminal, then run these commands to install it:

Code: Select all

./scripts/driver-select rtlwifi
make
sudo make install
@ giogrig: Please open a new topic if you have any further questions. This is arsivci's topic; even if the problem looks the same, it's still preferred to open a new topic for your questions (see the forum rules).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Networking”