Adding icons to the desktop

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iain_j

Adding icons to the desktop

Post by iain_j »

Is there any way i can add launcher icons directly to the desktop in Mint 14 KDE, rather than in a folder view? I've figured out I can create one in a folder view and then drag it onto the desktop, so is it possible to create them there in the first place?

Falling that, is it possible to make the folder view window transparent? I've installed the "Thin Air 2"theme which has made it lighter but I'd like to get rid altogether so as not to obstruct my desktop background. I tried the "Naked" theme which does this, but didn't like the other elements.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zalbor

Re: Adding icons to the desktop

Post by Zalbor »

If you right click and go to something like "desktop settings" (I'm not at my computer right now) there's a dropdown menu from which you can change the type of desktop you have.
One option is "folder view" and it makes the entire desktop one folder view, effectively making it a Windows/Gnome/etc style desktop, which should be what you're looking for.
iain_j

Post by iain_j »

Thanks, I'll give that a try later (I'm not at mine either!)
Zalbor

Post by Zalbor »

Now that I am I'll be more specific: Unlock the widgets (if they're locked), right click on desktop -> Default Desktop Settings, select View on the left, then Folder View in the Layout box.
iain_j

Post by iain_j »

Thanks zalbor, I'd managed to miss that setting altogether :)

Return to “Software & Applications”