Ogg vs. mp3 question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Ogg vs. mp3 question

Post by newW2 »

Ogg is a free, open standard container format maintained by the Xiph.Org Foundation. The Ogg format is unrestricted by software patents and is designed to provide for efficient streaming and manipulation of high quality digital multimedia. That is from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg
And here is a comparison:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... er_formats
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I have yet to see a MP3 player support OGG, so you just have to use MP3 for now. What are you using to import your music?
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

OGG is more or less equal to MP3, I have only seen complaints about how it handles metadata. I generally prefer MP3s, since I have a damn Ipod and need Windooze and Itunes to handle that...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

And when you need it: soundKonverter. You can find it in synaptic. It's KDE, but runs fine in Gnome as well.

KDE frontend to various audio converters
With soundKonverter you can convert between various audio
file formats. Supported formats are: (encode/decode)
- ogg (e/d)
- flac (e/d)
- mp3 (e/d)
- wav (e/d)
- wma (d)

Currently supported backends are oggenc, oggdec, flac, lame,
ffmpeg (partly), mplayer (partly).

Homepage: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=29024
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Yes, .ogg is an "open" format, there are portable music players out there that play .ogg files, and the sound quality is great. I've been using a Samsung portable music player; I have a few .mp3 files, but most of my music is in .ogg format or .wma format (files transferred over from Windows days). Anybody who wants to stay away from proprietary formats like .wma or .mp3, .ogg works out well; you might have to dig a little to find a player for it but they aren't too hard to find.

Return to “Beginner Questions”