LM14 doesn't boot for half hour, then suddenly boots

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SangeetKhatri

LM14 doesn't boot for half hour, then suddenly boots

Post by SangeetKhatri »

I am running Linux Mint 14 with LXDE installed, everything worked as normal until yesterday.

Yesterday, when i started my Laptop, it just didn't start, it was showing a blank screen, so i just left any hope and left the laptop in the same way, when i came back after long time i found my laptop to be booted successfully as it used to be with the normal desktop loaded.

Then i restarted and again it did the same thing, it took around half an hour to start and then everything worked like normal, no speed drops, no problems at all.

Then i again restarted it to get some more details, so i found that for about half an hour, the OS is not started and just when it is about to boot, then only i see the Linux Mint loading screen, that means something is wrong in the boot software and not in the OS.

Then to confirm that, i made a Live USB and booted it up from USB, and found similar behaviour, though i did not bother to wait for half an hour for the OS to boot this time.

So, please any help on how to resolve this issue would be highly encouraged, if you know anything on this matter, please do help as waiting so long for just getting online is pain in the @$$.

Regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: LM14 doesn't boot for half hour, then suddenly boots

Post by catweazel »

You may have a failing hard disk.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
SangeetKhatri

Post by SangeetKhatri »

any way to check that whether the problem exists in the HDD or not??

What should i do??
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

SangeetKhatri wrote:What should i do??
A backup.

Then, assuming you can install anything,

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install smartmontools
The documentation is here: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartm ... iki/TocDoc
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Installation & Boot”