I have two problems (mostly to do with watching movies).

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

I have two problems (mostly to do with watching movies).

Postby jus richards on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Hey, all.

I have two problems that I'm not too sure how to explain technically so I'll do my best with what ever knowledge I do know.

DISTRO - LM-14 Cinnamon 64bit.

1) Whenever I watch a video on my computer, and if it's full screen the screen 'lags' or 'flickers'. It only happens if the screen gets to a certain large size, and it happens in both VLC and GNOME player. If it's minimized then it plays ok. Any ideas on what might be causing it? Could it be a hardware problem? Something I haven't installed? (drivers?).

2) Copying a movie to a USB is touchy at best. When I play them through a blu-ray/usb player on the t.v. the movie will usually pause and then stop playing at a certain point. When copying the movie it looks as if it copies fine, and then I press 'unmount' and take it out. I don't get a message saying it's safe to unplug or anything like that but I just assumed this distro doesn't have that? Any ideas for this one too?

If you need to know more about hardware or certain aspects of problems let me know and I'll try and explain them as best as I can. Sorry about the newbie explanations I gave.

Thanks, all :)
jus richards
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I have two problems (mostly to do with watching movies).

Postby catweazel on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:46 am

jus richards wrote:1) Whenever I watch a video on my computer, and if it's full screen the screen 'lags' or 'flickers'. It only happens if the screen gets to a certain large size, and it happens in both VLC and GNOME player. If it's minimized then it plays ok. Any ideas on what might be causing it? Could it be a hardware problem? Something I haven't installed? (drivers?).

It would be helpful to know what video card you have, if you're using proprietary drivers or not, and what type of monitor you have, such as TFT or CRT.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Postby jus richards on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:55 am

catweazel wrote:
jus richards wrote:1) Whenever I watch a video on my computer, and if it's full screen the screen 'lags' or 'flickers'. It only happens if the screen gets to a certain large size, and it happens in both VLC and GNOME player. If it's minimized then it plays ok. Any ideas on what might be causing it? Could it be a hardware problem? Something I haven't installed? (drivers?).

It would be helpful to know what video card you have, if you're using proprietary drivers or not, and what type of monitor you have, such as TFT or CRT.

My video card is: PowerColor Myst Edition HD7870 2GB GDDR5

I don't know what proprietary drivers are, so I'm guessing I don't have them?

My monitor is this one: https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22089

Thanks for taking the time to read my problems :)
jus richards
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jus richards on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Sorry for bumping, but does anyone know anything about my problems? Is there anywhere else I could ask?

jus richards
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions