Failed to start the X server (GUI is not working)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Failed to start the X server (GUI is not working)

Postby Tobu on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:04 am

"Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem"

I select yes, find:
Fatal server error:
no screens found
(EE)

I just installed Linux Mint 14, (cinnamon) 64 bit, on my laptop. Specs at the end of this post. I ran a full software update, installed AMD catalyst for my video card and restarted the computer. I was then greeted with this error, and put into a fullscreen terminal. I'm confident that I installed the correct drivers. I did some googling but only found people whose issues were with different errors / distros. I'm also pretty new to linux so it's somewhat difficult to try different solutions unless someone gives me a specific line of code I'm supposed to run. I really hope that someone has a solution, because I'm absolutely clueless as to how I should approach this issue.

Specs: LENOVO B575e, AMD DualCore E1-1200, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, Radeon HD7310

Thanks in advance!

*EDIT*: I should probably also note that I did the same thing for my desktop computer, which is running a HD 7950 and I had no problems.
Tobu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Failed to start the X server (GUI is not working)

Postby Tobu on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:53 am

bumping... still having this problem
Tobu
Level 1
Level 1

Postby adams4u on Fri May 24, 2013 6:39 am

I am also facing the same problem with error "Failed to start the X server (GUI is not working)" can any one out there help !

No one seems to look at this side of errors .... mine is an atom netbook.

Happy Bugging !
adams4u
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Spearmint2 on Sat May 25, 2013 6:32 pm

when you boot, can you put vga=791 into the boot line and see if that helps?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spearmint2
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Newbie Questions