root can't cnnect to X

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alex_L
Level 2
Level 2

root can't cnnect to X

Post by Alex_L »

Hello

When I launch update-manager, the prog asks me the root password (my password) and then nothing happens.

In fact, I launched a bash, enter mintupdate, the program asks me the password, I entered it, return and nothing happens. I ssaw this in bash:

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1489: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
statusIcon = gtk.StatusIcon()
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1489: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1489: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_root_window: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1489: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1489: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_x11_display_get_xdisplay: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1489: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_number: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
bash: /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57:: No such file or directory

Even, when i type xhost + (which isn't good, because it's dangerous), i've got the same message.

So what's wrong?

Al
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Alex_L
Level 2
Level 2

Re: root can't cnnect to X

Post by Alex_L »

If I enter xhost + as user(=owner of the X-Session) and the do a su -, enter my password and then as superuser enter mintupdate, all works again.

System is Linux Mint 14 KDE Edition

Thank you for an explanation of the problem and a solution to do it entirely in KDE.

Al

Return to “Software & Applications”