Thumb Drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SickSquirrel

Thumb Drive

Post by SickSquirrel »

I've been using Windows for 20 years and Linux is like Chinese to me. So bear with a newbie, please.

I am trying to create a bootable USB thumb drive. Instructions are to download Linux Mint 14, install, then install Universal USB Installer and BitDefender.

I put the cinnamon files on the thumb drive. Tried to run the zip file but it gave errors of iZip didn't recognize things. Then I tried to run the iso.part file. Error was Windows didn't recognize a part file. The drive doesn't have Windows on it.

So ... confused am I doing wrong? What should I do to get this working?

Next steps are to boot into thumb drive by hitting F2, F8 or F12 (depending on your system), then something about deb files -- I don't have instructions in front of me so can't remember it all.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Thumb Drive

Post by xenopeek »

Hopefully this topic helps: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744. If you currently are on Windows, follow the bottom part of that tutorial. It links to some programs you can use on Windows to write an ISO file to an USB thumb drive--you can't just copy the ISO file with Windows Explorer as some special actions need to be performed to make your USB thumb drive bootable. Windows unfortunately doesn't come with a program to write ISO files to an USB thumb drive, so you have to download and install one of the programs that can do this first.
SickSquirrel

Post by SickSquirrel »

Thank you! I don't use Explorer anyway, but the instructions I read didn't say you can't run the files you download. May have been written by someone who assumed we all know this stuff :)

Will read then post if need be
SickSquirrel

Post by SickSquirrel »

Well, I managed to install almost everything. I just couldn't figure out which version of BitDefender to choose. Now I'm off to reboot into Linux and see if all is well.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Awesome :D I've had some trouble getting BitDefender to work last year, but I hope the current version works fine for you. If not, I suggest you post a new topic to ask support on it in the Software & Applications section of the forum.

Return to “Beginner Questions”