Amd X1200 GPU and Maya (xfce)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PussyCat

Amd X1200 GPU and Maya (xfce)

Post by PussyCat »

Currently investigating whether to install Maya across machines having been perfectly happy with Helena. Indeed, the only reason I'm doing this is because the M8 is no longer supported (not even an archive?) and M13 offers lts.

My notebook absolutely purrs running Helena Gnome, with all the effects I desire and without a hitch.

However, Maya Xfce glitches and I can't even pinpoint any particular action that causes the screen to disintegrate. Sometimes it might be immediately, others not at all and all points in between! Generally, the wallpaper will corrupt completely, window borders will corrupt too and fonts become crude and unreadable. The mouse pointer will become a large square but, with luck, can restart the xserver by logging out and back.

Additionally, setting transparency for moving windows makes it like stirring treacle with the window lagging well behind the mouse pointer.

Perhaps this is caused by the driver (assuming it to be the same as in Helena) not being fully compatible with more recent xorg and/or the kernel?

Is there anything I can do about this short of the minefield of trying a proprietary driver?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Amd X1200 GPU and Maya (xfce)

Post by DrHu »

I'd personally try the binary driver..
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/catal ... linux.html

Unfortuately ATI driver sets have a longer history of problems than Nvidia: although that doesn't help you..
PussyCat

Re: Amd X1200 GPU and Maya (xfce)

Post by PussyCat »

That's the reply I didn't want (I know - don't shoot the messenger)! That's the sledge hammer I was hoping to avoid!

Anyway, tried your link but it ended up at a dead end as usual - ie can't reach install guide. I did find a wiki guide somewhere but it was so complicated that I wouldn't dare try.

I do note, however, that fglrx is available in SPM. Would there be any mileage in trying that route?

[As a matter of interest, a few minutes ago I was trying (Ubuntu) linux-secure-12.10-32bit on another machine which also has ati gpu (fx9500) and guess what - the graphics display disintegrated after about 10min and I wasn't even doing anything at the time!]

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”