I have two problems (mostly to do with watching movies).

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jus richards

I have two problems (mostly to do with watching movies).

Post by jus richards »

Hey, all.

I have two problems that I'm not too sure how to explain technically so I'll do my best with what ever knowledge I do know.

DISTRO - LM-14 Cinnamon 64bit.

1) Whenever I watch a video on my computer, and if it's full screen the screen 'lags' or 'flickers'. It only happens if the screen gets to a certain large size, and it happens in both VLC and GNOME player. If it's minimized then it plays ok. Any ideas on what might be causing it? Could it be a hardware problem? Something I haven't installed? (drivers?).

2) Copying a movie to a USB is touchy at best. When I play them through a blu-ray/usb player on the t.v. the movie will usually pause and then stop playing at a certain point. When copying the movie it looks as if it copies fine, and then I press 'unmount' and take it out. I don't get a message saying it's safe to unplug or anything like that but I just assumed this distro doesn't have that? Any ideas for this one too?

If you need to know more about hardware or certain aspects of problems let me know and I'll try and explain them as best as I can. Sorry about the newbie explanations I gave.

Thanks, all :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: I have two problems (mostly to do with watching movies).

Post by catweazel »

jus richards wrote:1) Whenever I watch a video on my computer, and if it's full screen the screen 'lags' or 'flickers'. It only happens if the screen gets to a certain large size, and it happens in both VLC and GNOME player. If it's minimized then it plays ok. Any ideas on what might be causing it? Could it be a hardware problem? Something I haven't installed? (drivers?).
It would be helpful to know what video card you have, if you're using proprietary drivers or not, and what type of monitor you have, such as TFT or CRT.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jus richards

Post by jus richards »

catweazel wrote:
jus richards wrote:1) Whenever I watch a video on my computer, and if it's full screen the screen 'lags' or 'flickers'. It only happens if the screen gets to a certain large size, and it happens in both VLC and GNOME player. If it's minimized then it plays ok. Any ideas on what might be causing it? Could it be a hardware problem? Something I haven't installed? (drivers?).
It would be helpful to know what video card you have, if you're using proprietary drivers or not, and what type of monitor you have, such as TFT or CRT.
My video card is: PowerColor Myst Edition HD7870 2GB GDDR5

I don't know what proprietary drivers are, so I'm guessing I don't have them?

My monitor is this one: https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?ma ... s_id=22089

Thanks for taking the time to read my problems :)
jus richards

Post by jus richards »

Sorry for bumping, but does anyone know anything about my problems? Is there anywhere else I could ask?

Return to “Beginner Questions”