Windows 7 administrator

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Windows 7 administrator

Post by chiefjim »

I've been given a laptop that came with Windows 7 and that I made dual boot with Mint 14. (Owner likes iPads better)

I don't need another laptop and intend to gift it to a family member. Before doing so need to remove the original owner as the Win 7 administrator. I have her original account names and passwords so no hacking is neccessary. Just want to remove them as others have no need to know her credentials.

Since many of you are skilled in multiple systems might someone point me to a simple solution?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
kwisher

Re: Windows 7 administrator

Post by kwisher »

I would just create a new "dummy" account and make sure it is also an administrator with no password. Reboot and log into the new "dummy" account and from the same place you created the new account you can delete the original owner's account, making sure to remove all files. When you give the PC to the next owner they would need to do the same only login with the "dummy" account and create their new account making sure to make themselves an administrator. They can then remove the "dummy" account.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

I would just create a new "dummy" account and make sure it is also an administrator with no password
- control panel - users
add user
delete old user
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

kwisher wrote:make sure it is also an administrator with no password.
Bad idea on Windwoes, that. For starters, it'll mess up networking.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

OK Guess it just comes down to creating a new account with administrator privileges then deleting the original. My concern was maybe somehow that would mess up being able to do updates. Looks like something I didn't need to worry about.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

catweazel wrote:
kwisher wrote:make sure it is also an administrator with no password.
Bad idea on Windwoes, that. For starters, it'll mess up networking.
This was just for the "dummy" account so that you can delete the other user account.

Return to “Open Chat”