Keyboard shortcut

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
isebarn

Keyboard shortcut

Post by isebarn »

I want to make a keyboard shortcut, fx Fn+Ctrl+z that would bring up Matlab so I can directly type into Matlab (Matlab already running ofcourse)

So if I wanted to calculate 2+2, I would press Fz+ctrl+z 2+2 enter
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
semicolon

Re: Keyboard shortcut

Post by semicolon »

You can probably focus the matlab window with the following command:

Code: Select all

wmctrl -a Matlab
At least that works for me with firefox. To bind it to a keyboard shortcut, go to menu -> keyboard -> shortcut. Then add a shortcut for the above command. Tell me if it works.
isebarn

Post by isebarn »

semicolon wrote:You can probably focus the matlab window with the following command:

Code: Select all

wmctrl -a Matlab
At least that works for me with firefox. To bind it to a keyboard shortcut, go to menu -> keyboard -> shortcut. Then add a shortcut for the above command. Tell me if it works.
It worked in the terminal
However for some reason I cant make the keyboard shortcut, not for anything, so as soon as I fugure out how to make shortcuts Im sure it'll work

no idea why I cant create keyboard shortcuts

thanks for your help
isebarn

Post by isebarn »

I got it to work :)

instead of using gconf-editor I found that in Mint I have Menu- preferences - keyboard shortcuts
semicolon

Post by semicolon »

That's what I actually meant, don't know about the menu differences between all mint DE's, can be quite confusing at times. Glad you got it working.

Return to “Beginner Questions”