So what about Linux Mint 15 KDE?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orbmiser

So what about Linux Mint 15 KDE?

Post by Orbmiser »

Absolutely no info or road maps for KDE,Xfce or Mate?

Everything I google about Mint 15 is always about Cinnamon.
That's all wonderful & great. But can't find a when or what's included improvements for Mint 15 kde.
Things like default KDE or Kernel versions,etc..

All kinds of things about what is being worked on and added or upgraded in Cinnamon.
So how come no love or at least some basic info for the others?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: So what about Linux Mint 15 KDE?

Post by catweazel »

A release was created for testing four days ago - Olivia KDE Edition amd64 (build #201304172300). As I'm on the testing team I took the opportunity to run the test suite. Unfortunately, it didn't pass muster.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

catweazel wrote:A release was created for testing four days ago - Olivia KDE Edition amd64 (build #201304172300). As I'm on the testing team I took the opportunity to run the test suite. Unfortunately, it didn't pass muster.
Thanks for the info. Yep kind of saddened there is no ongoing info about the state of KDE and what's planed for it.
Kind of have to be in the nightly testing crowd to know what's going on. As all kinds of info on Cinnamon.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Have you been to this site? http://www.planetkde.org/ They do have some articles about what they are working on- more KDE in general, not specific to Mint.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep got that bookmarked and know what is planned for KDE's future.
But not sure if what & when those goodies get put into Mint KDE.
Like will Mint KDE 15 have 4.10? or 4.10.2 will it come with kernel 3.6,3.7? or 3.8?

Those are the kind of things I like to know ahead of time. As helps make decisions about holding off or needing to backport or go to nightlies kind of things. Also allows me to figure out that certain desktops or apps bugs have been addressed by versions numbers that many times list bug fixes which may pertain to my situation.

Not a real biggy issue for me but would be nice knowing ahead of time.
As Cinnamon users know what's coming down the pike so to speak.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Dear: Time to Time. Soon came out Ubuntu version (13.04) on which to base Linux Mint 15. I have to say that the versions of Kubuntu, Ubuntu and Xubuntu I tried really work great, better than previous versions 12.10 .... Tranquility, we have to wait a little bit .....

I am also anxious to see Linux Mint 15 KDE, I'm sure it will be an excellent version. Although, it would be really a good development, would be that the Linux Mint team would give more importance to KDE, but I see it difficult .... Regards.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The reason you see so much info about Cinnamon is because Cinnamon is being developed at Linux Mint, with many contributing developers. For MATE, Xfce and KDE development news you'd visit their respective websites. On the Linux Mint GitHub page you can find information about software developed at Linux Mint, including a roadmap of what software developed at Linux Mint is target for the upcoming release. So yes, there isn't much shared about building the ISOs themselves and what software not developed at Linux Mint will be included. But that is the same for all editions of Linux Mint, including the Cinnamon one.

You can sneak peak by looking at what packages Linux Mint adds to the Ubuntu package base: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Olivia. That's of course under development as of yet and not the final set of packages. Packages for KDE are mostly still missing there, so not much to see right now. Ubuntu 13.04 includes 4.10.2 in its repositories so safe to assume at the least that version will be on Linux Mint 15 KDE.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Anyone who wants to check on the progress of any upcoming release can visit here:

http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

When the pre-release .iso of any upcoming release of Mint is being tested you'll find it there. It's no secret either as it's been part of the Linux Mint Community website since almost the beginning.

Anyway, the silence is typical when it comes near to a new release of the Linux Mint main editions (those based on Ubuntu, that is). You know how developers are when it comes down to the final stretch? Their eyeballs are glued to their displays, their fingers to the keyboards and they probably haven't had any sort of sustenance for the last week (Ramon noodles don't count as sustenance, by the way). They're also incapable of any sort of intelligible communication with the outside world during this time. It's amazing in itself that they even survive the experience. :lol:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
spamazoid

Post by spamazoid »

I downloaded the RC which was cinnamon and all was well, i just for kicks added KDE and XFCE from the repo's and it seems to have added a debian themed version of both :)
But they both work more or less so the Mint themed edition should end up being alot smoother.
Gary7

Post by Gary7 »

It says that the 64 Bit is 100% tested. No progress on the 32 bit.
Gary7

Post by Gary7 »

How does one go about becoming a tester?
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

I've been watching the site all week. The KDE version seems to have been stuck in the testing, since some time ago that did not get off. For now, at this moment, there is nothing available. And XFCE version seems to be lost, no news or their testing yet. Unfortunately, you have to wait even more .....

Is that the Linux Mint Team is small, but are lingered long and shows these issues..... KDE and XFCE need more affection and more attention undoubtedly. To keep waiting. Best regards.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Jose Manuel wrote:I've been watching the site all week. The KDE version seems to have been stuck in the testing, since some time ago that did not get off. For now, at this moment, there is nothing available. And XFCE version seems to be lost, no news or their testing yet. Unfortunately, you have to wait even more .....

Is that the Linux Mint Team is small, but are lingered long and shows these issues..... KDE and XFCE need more affection and more attention undoubtedly. To keep waiting. Best regards.
Going by the latest Linux Mint Monthly News post (Mint blog) they're probably waiting for Ubuntu to release the 3.8.0-25 kernel update as the default kernel (3.8.0-19) has been found to cause problems (no HDMI sound, system freezes and kernel panics). Checking the updates this morning it appears that Ubuntu has just now released the 3.8.0-25 kernel update so we should see a Mint KDE RC within the next few days or week at the most.

That being said, historically the KDE version of Linux Mint is released one month after the main edition(s) are released. Same with the XFCE version. That would put the potential release date at the end of this month.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
wyz

Post by wyz »

Yesterday both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Linux Mint 15 KDE were approved for RC release. Today it was the XFCE version's turn. They will in all likelyhood be uploaded to the servers in the next day or two, and should go final after a week or so as an RC release. Yes. the development crew is now in the final stretch and we will have our much awaited new versions soon.
RavenLX

Post by RavenLX »

Will these by LTS? Or will we be upgrading every year?
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

RavenLX wrote:Will these by LTS? Or will we be upgrading every year?
Nope not LTS Mint 16 is slated for LTS.
RavenLX

Post by RavenLX »

Thanks. Maybe I should wait for Mint 16? I'm using 14 now and it's been doing pretty good. I have upgraded KDE manually so I'm at 4.10.4.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”