Is 100GB for /root too much?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
junior-s

Is 100GB for /root too much?

Post by junior-s »

I bought a 1TB drive, I'm planning on doing the following partitioning:

320GB for Windows, I use Windows ONLY for games.

111.51GB for root
500GB for /home

I plan to install all my programs on Linux, also using VBox and Wine for those that need Windows to run. On the /home side, I download lots of music (about 100GB downloaded and 50GB copied from CD's, most of them from the 90's), movies, series, Documentaries and such, and I'll also install Steam, which stores all game's data on /home.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Is 100GB for /root too much?

Post by jungle_boy »

I am running LM14 cinnamon, with 20 GB to root, all installed files are using 4.5 GB and have 15GB free...

I think that 30GB, or 50GB, is good.
Last edited by jungle_boy on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep would 20gb for / and /home would be 20-100gb depending on where my music,movies,etc.. are?
As for me have my music,images,etc.. on external usb drive.

I would leave some unallocated for later use where I could resize partitions when needing more.
Or create the majority as a ntfs data partition for all my personal files that Windows & Linux could access.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I have a 1t hdd. I also planned on installing xp so I left about 300 Gb for that- haven't done that and now probably never will. I have 500 Mb for boot, 20 Gb for root and about 600 Gb for home. Right now I use 22% of root. I would have to install a huge amount of programs to get close to that 20 Gb. I did have vbox and xp installed last Mint version but that did not come close to 20 Gb either.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

homerscousin wrote:Right now I use 22% of root. I would have to install a huge amount of programs to get close to that 20 Gb.
Yeah. The most I normally allocate to the / partition for a Linux installation is 10 GB, except for Sabayon -- I have 24 GiB for that one.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you have a /home partition then it is usual for / to contain only some 4GB of data. You don't need more than 10GB for it.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
foxyfennec

Post by foxyfennec »

My root always gets quite big, pushing 20gb. A full LaTeX installation is 1GB for example.

Though most users probably don't want to install a plethora of development tools and other things.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep many need much less.

My root / : 7.8gb with 2.3gb still free
My /Home : 13.4gb with 10.4gb still free.

Have KDE 14.10.2 with Firefox,Clementine,Gimp,LibreOffice,Darktable & RawTherapee,Wine and DVD shrink, misc. widgets. And all the other standard programs installed.

Tho do have my 30,000+ raw Nikon images,1000+ Mp3 Albums,200+ movies,Docs,etc.. On separate Usb external to access by Linux or Win7.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Tho do have my 30,000+ raw Nikon images,1000+ Mp3 Albums,200+ movies,Docs,etc.. On separate Usb external to access by Linux or Win7.
Holy crap! 30,000 raw images. They are like 25 Mb apiece aren't they? They are on a Pentax KX. That must be a big usb drive. See, this is why you want as large as possible home partition to store all that stuff and only what is realistically needed for root.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Nikon D90 images are around 12mb raw and total take up 342gb so far over 4 years of shooting.
Music I have been collecting last 30 years or so and have the CD's in storage at relatives storage facility.
And around 1026 Albums? And mp3's take up a good 74gb's.

That with ongoing and removing movies to watch and system backups. Using External usb's are the only convenient and cost effective way of storing them. As always also backup my internal hd partitions once a month. And wouldn't want to have to back up personal data also. Keeping my partitions small makes for fast backup's and restores.
pfeiffep

Post by pfeiffep »

junior-s wrote:I bought a 1TB drive, I'm planning on doing the following partitioning:

320GB for Windows, I use Windows ONLY for games.

111.51GB for root
500GB for /home

I plan to install all my programs on Linux, also using VBox and Wine for those that need Windows to run. On the /home side, I download lots of music (about 100GB downloaded and 50GB copied from CD's, most of them from the 90's), movies, series, Documentaries and such, and I'll also install Steam, which stores all game's data on /home.
Probably 10 Gb is plenty, especially if you keep it clean!
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

I use 13gb for / and the rest goes into /home -1gb for swap space. I have never even come close to filling the 13gb root partition, even if you binge on installing programs.

Return to “Beginner Questions”