Change default MintMenu search engine

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Change default MintMenu search engine

Postby chezbutt on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:48 am

So I have already found out how to add plain (non Mint-branded) Google back to the search engine bar in Firefox and I was wondering how I can apply that to the MintMenu's default search engine? For example, when I open up the menu and start typing I am given the options to search Google, Wikipedia, look up term in the dictionary etc. Can I even change the prefered search engine?

Maybe a MintMenu gui tweak and customization tool is needed? I can think of other features and behaviour modifications that would be nice to have.
chezbutt
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Change default MintMenu search engine

Postby chezbutt on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:34 am

So I've done some digging and found that "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py" contains this entry in the code:

def search_google(self, widget):
text = self.searchEntry.get_text()
text = text.replace(" ", "+")
os.system("xdg-open \"http://www.google.com/cse?cx=002683415331144861350%3Atsq8didf9x0&ie=utf-8&sa=Search&q=" + text + "\" &")
self.mintMenuWin.hide()

If I replace the google search url with something different (say google.ca), is that all I would need to do in order to change the default mintMenu search engine? Would I need to recompile it, or just save the changes to the script as root and restart the computer?
chezbutt
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Change default MintMenu search engine

Postby N<=>B on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:09 pm

I have changed url in wikipedia search from en.wikipedia.org... to ru.wikipedia.org and after relogin i can search on russian.
N<=>B
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications