Communicating to google at login?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
H.Z.

Communicating to google at login?

Post by H.Z. »

I've found a weird thing today after installing a Mint13: every time I log in, I see some requests on my router which was sent from my linux to Google's servers.
Could you tell me, what my linux want from google?
(linux mint13 64bit with MATE desktop)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
iain_j

Re: Communicating to google at boot time?

Post by iain_j »

Mintupdate pings google every 15 mins to check there is an internet connection; I'd imagine it does this at boot too.

You can change this (which site it pings and how often) in mintupdate preferences.
H.Z.

Re: Communicating to google at boot time?

Post by H.Z. »

iain_j wrote:Mintupdate pings google every 15 mins to check there is an internet connection; I'd imagine it does this at boot too.

You can change this (which site it pings and how often) in mintupdate preferences.
Sorry, it was a mistake of me. Not at boot time, but at login to desktop.
Thanks!
Because the original Ubuntu does some "interesting" things... (for example see in 12.04 System Settings -> Privacy -> Record Activity)
My first idea was, the Mint follows it... ;)

Return to “Beginner Questions”