How big should my Boot Partition be?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dharma6662000

How big should my Boot Partition be?

Post by dharma6662000 »

I'm about to partition my hard-drive so I can install Mint 14.

I've found on-line that for a 6GB RAM machine, I should make an 8GB Swap Area. Does that sound about right?

When it comes to the hard-drive partition itself, Mint can run on at least 8GB. Should I make it that small?

My hard-drive is 1TB, so I have plenty of space to space. What would the advantages of a larger boot partition be?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintybits

Re: How big should my Boot Partition be?

Post by mintybits »

SWAP needs to be the same as RAM if you intend to use hibernation. Say for a laptop. Otherwise 4GB is usually plenty, especially if you have 6GB of RAM.

You do not normally need a boot partition at all unless you are doing something exotic like encrypting your root partition OR you are installing Grub on a GPT formatted disk. If you are not doing either of those then simply install without a separate boot partition.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

0mb for boot = you don't need one :)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can let Mint format the drive automatically, by selecting "Use whole disk" in the installer, and then choosing the right disk.
In case there is another operating system on the disk (such as Windows), you can leave unallocated space on the disk and then choose "Install alongside Windows (or other operating system)". That will automatically create all necessary partitions in the unallocated space of your disk.

And indeed, / (the root) is the only partition that you definitely need. Swap can be good for hibernation, it needs to be just a bit larger than 6GB (the automatic formatting in the installer will do this right). Other partitions are optional. Some Linux distros (like Fedora) create a 500MB /boot by default, but you do not need that partition.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Beginner Questions”