Questions before I convert to LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jmite

Questions before I convert to LMDE

Post by jmite »

I'm a long time Ubuntu user, but I'm strongly considering LMDE. I have a few quick questions before I nuke my existing system:
  • What is fglrx support like in LMDE? I unfortunately have an AMD 6630M powerXpress card in my laptop, and getting drivers working has been a hassle in the past.
  • Can I use alternative desktop environments (LXDE, KDE), or is LMDE only work with Mate and Cinnamon?
  • Is it possible to install software distributed as .deb which isn't in the repository?
  • Is there any chance of Steam working on LMDE? (This isn't super important to me, but would be nice not to have to boot into windows to play TF2.)
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Questions before I convert to LMDE

Post by millpond »

1. Have to pass on that one. Check for drivers at the maker's site. The worst that can happen is that 3D wont work. Normal video should work fine.

2. You can install as many desktop environments as you want and choose at login. I use either KDE or XFCE

3. You can install any software you want. Debs are native to Linux Mint DEBian Edition. You can install most RPMs (use alien) or even compile apps from .tgz
However, its well to make sure the software is Debian compatible, as most Linux software is, but be wary of stuff from the Ubuntu PPA repositories.

4. http://www.fileplanet.com/126568/downlo ... 5BLinux%5D
if the link dont make it through here, check for linux steam at fileplanet-com.

Look also for supported games for Wine in the playonlinux site.
Wine will typically run many Games as well as m$ office apps. Most moderately sized Win apps will run under wine, but it make take a bit of tweaking on some. Load Winetricks and PlayonLinux. The commercial Crossover office may improve performance. An old trick, which will draw alot of flames, is to install all the Linux libraries for the Win .DLLs and then copy over /system32 making sure NOT TO OVERWRITE *anything*.

This is a tough distribution, and does not break as easily as Ubuntu - assumiing you have used that before, and remember there is ALOT of difference between LMDE and Mint 14 (the last ubuntu release?)
LMDE is really lipstick on Wheezy/sid.
That is not a bad thing. By any means.
Spinnekop

Post by Spinnekop »

You can always try dual boot with LMDE and Ubuntu to try it out.
(I did that and managed to break my master boot record when I uninstalled LMDE so be careful)

In the end I am more than happy with my Mint 14 (Ubuntu based) with Cinnamon. :wink:
It works despite my bests attempts to break it...
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Post by millpond »

Probably the best way to test drive LMDE is with the Live-CD which usually can double as an install disk.

If one is not going to install Linux, its a good idea to keep a Linux live-cd\dvd around as a boot disk since they can run unhackable AV scanners and repair programs, as well as deal with online finance without concern for spyware of any kind.

Return to “LMDE Archive”